Author Topic: le mans stripe color  (Read 3798 times)

tonys_shelby

• View Profile
le mans stripe color
« on: April 01, 2019, 04:54:43 PM »
would the le mans stripes be wimbledon white on a nightmist blue '67 or the commercial white?

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
Re: le mans stripe color
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 05:18:35 PM »
they look SO good that color  - no need for stripes

https://shelbypartsstore.com/?page_id=775#jp-carousel-1913
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

tonys_shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 05:32:11 PM »
granted but what would be the correct color for the stripes?

EdwardGT350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 05:48:29 PM »
this is what ive heard, not sure if its true.
shelby applied stripes= commercial white
ford dealer applied stripes= wimbledom white
maybe some can confirm?
1966 GT350 6s1761

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 05:55:54 PM »

since they were not put on at the factory , it would have to be dealer added so theres no real correct color as the stripes are incorrect.   Commercial white is a lot brighter,   wimbledon is more of a creamy color.  Another point that should be considered is dealers back then would buy all the factory available colors to have on the shelf  and WW  was a popular factory color.  They would have to go out and buy the commercial white. 
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 05:59:40 PM »
commercial more closely matches the rocker stripe white
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 06:01:20 PM »

since they were not put on at the factory , it would have to be dealer added so theres no real correct color as the stripes are incorrect.   Commercial white is a lot brighter,   wimbledon is more of a creamy color.  Another point that should be considered is dealers back then would buy all the factory available colors to have on the shelf  and WW  was a popular factory color.  They would have to go out and buy the commercial white.
++++1
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 06:16:14 PM »
Personal taste for me is no stripes, but I have owned 67's in the past with stripes, they were WW. I would be careful of the wideness and would not taper them like the 65, 66.
I would not put them on, and enjoy the car that way, and if you still want to later, add them.
RARE  Signature Delete

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 06:42:40 PM »
Personal taste for me is no stripes, but I have owned 67's in the past with stripes, they were WW. I would be careful of the wideness and would not taper them like the 65, 66.
I would not put them on, and enjoy the car that way, and if you still want to later, add them.

.... or have a good wrap guy apply them, then if you don't like them, or get tired of them, he can peel them off.  Some of these wrap guys are pretty talented.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

SFM66H

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 07:21:21 PM »
From page 103/104 of Chuck Cantwell & Greg Kolasa's "SHELBY MUSTANG GT350" book:

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

SFM66H

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 08:27:55 PM »
I forgot to credit my buddy Denny (6S1568 Hertz) for finding that nugget of paint history.

Thanks Denny!
1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 09:40:15 PM »
The paint secret mentioned in the book has been out for at least 45 years if not longer to Shelby enthusiasts.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 10:29:25 PM »
would the le mans stripes be wimbledon white on a nightmist blue '67 or the commercial white?
   Tony- The GM white is a perfect match to the lower rocker stripes. I have a Nightmist Blue car as well and just love the blue/ white combo. The tapered stripes on both front and rear of car will compliment an aggressive look. Good luck with your decision. :)

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 02:49:15 AM »
427 Heaven.... funny you should mention that...in 2002 when prepping my Nightmist Blue 67 GT 500.... I told my painter that I refused to use  " Wimpy White " for my Lemans Stripes...so I tore a small corner off of my side stripe kit...and told him to match it to that..the result...GM White Fleet Paint..

thefordshow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 04:42:13 AM »
I couldn't see a "Ford dealership" painting stripes with a GM color?  Logic would be to use in house colors.  WW once on the car is not as noticeable difference because of the distance from the centre of the car to the rocker area.