News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Battery cut off switch

Started by charlie D, April 02, 2019, 12:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hertzdonut

I'm old and really can't remember anything correctly, but even older guys than me told me to always remove the negative cable first.

Terry

KR500

The only reason they say to remove the negative cable first is so that it will not short out if you hit the tool your using to loosening the terminal with to ground. Other than that it makes no difference. And if you go way back there are some 6 volt system with a positive ground.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

s2ms

Quote from: vtgt500 on April 05, 2019, 07:08:13 AM
As mentioned, pulling off a battery cable has worked well for the 42 years I've owned my GT500.   I very rarely drive the car anymore and rest easy with knowledge a short related car fire is a non issue. Wipe battery perfectly clean to prevent a leak path between terminal posts.   Also, amazing how long a fully charged, disconnected battery will last in dry, heated storage.  Though there is some debate on which cable to remove.

Indeed. The repop Autolite 24F gel battery in my 66 is 11 years old and still going strong.
Dave - 6S1757