Author Topic: 5aa Charcoal metalic interior paint  (Read 8100 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
5aa Charcoal metalic interior paint
« on: April 13, 2019, 08:09:49 AM »
None of the paint shops here will mix this for me. Are there anyone of the parts vendors offering this is quart cans? I haven't found any yet.  I've tried the rattle cans and it is inconsistent and really a waist of time.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 5aa Charcoal metalic interior paint
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 08:13:30 AM »
Is "here" California?  If so maybe Jeff Speegle has a suggestion?
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 08:15:16 AM »
No. The Big Apple.

The consensus "seems" to be that no one wants to mix laquer and that for one quart, it's a BFD. I don't know the specific issues the suppliers here have but this is like attempting to have an intelligent discussion with  a door knob? The paint fumes have eroded what little grey matter they ever had, which in my observation, ain't much to begin with?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 08:20:48 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 06:01:03 PM »
If this is the same color as 67 charcoal metallic then ask if they mix Deltron 2000 DBI interior.
I have a pint bought late last year which when mixed 1:1 with DT yields half a quart.
It sprays well and has the right sheen when sprayed over a compatible black primer.
A little goes a really long way.

PPG brand code is 32586 and it's called Charcoal Black Poly.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 09:40:34 PM »
Same color. The metallic in it is subtle. I can't get any metallic out of the rattle cans and the gloss is wrong from them.
When applied correctly, this stuff looks like it is sun faded black and it is almost flat black.

The suppliers here are for high volume shops. 1968 is probably the last time anyone used lacquer?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CSX 3183

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 11:22:17 PM »
Get the correct paint in a rattle can, perfect match, my last batch, from West Coast Classic Cougar
Member of SAAC since 1977

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 11:49:19 PM »
Same color. The metallic in it is subtle. I can't get any metallic out of the rattle cans and the gloss is wrong from them.
When applied correctly, this stuff looks like it is sun faded black and it is almost flat black.

The suppliers here are for high volume shops. 1968 is probably the last time anyone used lacquer?

I got mine from a high volume shop. Wesco. Great people. Very knowledgeable.
Don't understand why you'd want to use lacquer.

Here it's applied very dry in order to replicate the finish found on unrestored cars:

Here is one of Jeff's picture from an unrestored Shelby:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/gallery/5/6-170416225514-5526547.jpeg
[Because I didn't ask permission to copy or direct link the image I give you the link to the image at the consoursmustang.com website.]

Different gun settings allow a better finish on dashes.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 07:17:12 AM »
I'm not thrilled by lacquer. Just going by what was previously recommended. I'd go with whatever is more durable and looks correct. I don't want to have to redo it again...ever.

What's in the spray cans? That is unclear to me?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 07:31:40 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 10:38:46 AM »
if you are using a rattle can from a reputable company, SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE for at least 5 minutes. the metallic sinks to the bottom af the can. make sure the paint is warm. dust it on, to heavy and you bury the metallic. no wet coats. phred

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 02:32:08 PM »
If this is the same color as 67 charcoal metallic then ask if they mix Deltron 2000 DBI interior.
I have a pint bought late last year which when mixed 1:1 with DT yields half a quart.
It sprays well and has the right sheen when sprayed over a compatible black primer.
A little goes a really long way.

PPG brand code is 32586 and it's called Charcoal Black Poly.
+1

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 08:22:42 AM »
The paint you guys are recommending is a 1K system and not a 2k? It's single stage?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 03:03:40 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 12:56:15 PM »
Doug,
Let me know if you can't get the paint you need mixed locally. I have chased paint here that some states have banned and shipped.  I'd be glad to assist if needed.
                                                                           -Keith

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 03:14:39 PM »
I found a guy. The issue is the product description is showing as 69 Cougar charcoal.

Now I think it's 1k, single stage,  meaning just shoot it with no hardener, no clear coat, but they don't know. "Read the instructions".

Now apparently "poly" means it has metallic in it, and the flatness is built into the formula.

The color chip looks grey. My two cars, the 68 and 67 both look different. The 67 is flatter. The 68 looks blacker.

Apparently you affect the results of that by spraying it lighter and drier.

I have a friend who is following the entire scenario ask, "do you drink?" I said no. He said, "you should". :o

I got tired of shooting at stationary targets. 99 out of 100 was a bad day. I need moving targets. "How can you shoot women and children? Easy...you don't lead them as much." Yikes.

At $165 a quart, if it's wrong, maybe it'll mix with Scotch? Oh I forgot. I don't drink.

Thanks for the offer. I'm cool. I've got it under control...I think?  8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 04:14:34 PM »
FWIW the stuff I used (image posted above in Reply #8) was single-stage and we had to add flattener to it for the "correct" sheen.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0