Author Topic: Rental car ID marking left over artifact - 1966 GT350H  (Read 2190 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Rental car ID marking left over artifact - 1966 GT350H
« on: April 28, 2019, 01:38:54 AM »
Hi all,

I was visiting a buddy last week and was checking out his ex-rental car un-restored 1966 GT350H.  I was examining the rear view mirror closer and noticed this hand made sticker tag with markings  "004AT" on the back side of the mirror, only visible from outside the car.  Do you suppose this is a left over artifact from the rental cars days and was an identification for the local Hertz Rental Agency?  Is it possible the code ID'd the car as No. 4 Automatic Transmission?  The car was rented in Nashville TN.

Anybody else ever see one of these?

Thanks

Cory

GT350AUS

• View Profile
Re: Rental car ID marking left over artifact - 1966 GT350H
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 04:31:21 AM »
Anything is possible.

Mine doesn’t have it and i have what I believe is the original rear view mirror

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 07:54:40 AM »
The original mirror on my car (1431) was painted red
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Shelby6t5 Mike HHI, SC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 09:30:23 AM »
If I recall correctly, There was a Thread about this on the old forum. Looks like a Dymo  label maker.
I believe I still have one, still have 50 boxes to unpack once I get the new garage in order.

Mike

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 04:00:36 PM »
Did some background on these a number of years back and I found each individual (rental cars didn't often travel very far from their base back then) region to identify and "mark" cars the way they choose.

As I collected the different methods and styles I started seeing a thread with method and location that often did reflect the regional office the cars (Shelby and non-Shelby Hertz rental cars) were found with.

Dymo tape was popular - both in the typical plastic and the aluminum tapes (each with different stamping devices) for this purpose

Location was dependent on year in general as was the coding. Some were short (not allot of printing) while others were fairly long. Bumpers, door jambs, under hood location and mirrors seem to be the most often used.

Would be interested, Cory thanks for at least providing where the car in the first picture was assigned to -  so I can add it to the collection and the spread sheet. Collection is small but more often than not the labels have been removed at some time in the past by owners. Also I would guerss based on what we've seen so far most Hertz regions didn't use this type of identification for the cars. Guessing it was an earlier car?

Did find and purchase an both types of Dymo machines and tapes so that I could help with cars that have been done in the past. Not sure if its worth finding and buying for a single car - especially the metal tape one
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 04:04:43 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 07:24:01 PM »
Never saw anything that looked like Hertz ever did to 550 to mark it in any way.  Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 01:14:36 AM »
Did some background on these a number of years back and I found each individual (rental cars didn't often travel very far from their base back then) region to identify and "mark" cars the way they choose.

As I collected the different methods and styles I started seeing a thread with method and location that often did reflect the regional office the cars (Shelby and non-Shelby Hertz rental cars) were found with.

Dymo tape was popular - both in the typical plastic and the aluminum tapes (each with different stamping devices) for this purpose

Location was dependent on year in general as was the coding. Some were short (not allot of printing) while others were fairly long. Bumpers, door jambs, under hood location and mirrors seem to be the most often used.

Would be interested, Cory thanks for at least providing where the car in the first picture was assigned to -  so I can add it to the collection and the spread sheet. Collection is small but more often than not the labels have been removed at some time in the past by owners. Also I would guerss based on what we've seen so far most Hertz regions didn't use this type of identification for the cars. Guessing it was an earlier car?

Did find and purchase an both types of Dymo machines and tapes so that I could help with cars that have been done in the past. Not sure if its worth finding and buying for a single car - especially the metal tape one

Hi Jeff,  The GT350H with the 004AT marking is in the lower 1700's.  I am not it would make any difference, but here you go.  I expect this form of ID'ing the car might be the just local Hertz agency, not necessarily all of them.

It be a tough manual scan through the registry to find the other Nashville TN GT350H's. It be a piece of cake if the data were accessible in word document or similar.  It would be interesting if the next 66 GT350 registry listed the cars by Hertz Agency.

Thanks

Cory

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:19:54 AM by 6s1640 »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 02:02:16 AM »
Hi Jeff,  The GT350H with the 004AT marking is in the lower 1700's.  I am not it would make any difference, but here you go.  I expect this form of ID'ing the car might be the just local Hertz agency, not necessarily all of them.

It be a tough manual scan through the registry to find the other Nashville TN GT350H's. It be a piece of cake if the data were accessible in word document or similar.  It would be interesting if the next 66 GT350 registry listed the cars by Hertz Agency.

Thanks - The Hertz cars are broken out from the rest of the cars - cutting the job in approx half ;)

Looking at the small number in the 1700's  there are only 19 Hertz cars. Two fo them were shipped to Herff Motors in Memphis the only Tenn destination
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 11:11:00 AM »
I have memory of the red paint on mirrors being noted in the past. I have not seen mention of the dymo on the mirror before, I will need too take a closer look at mine.

If I recall there was a period correct engine picture on the old Forums of a Hertz LA car that had dymo tape with the following information printed - 2290-1-5 FE289 FN542 SHELBY. My Hertz LA also has similar designation, with of course different number sequence.

My car also has just to the right of the tape the letters IGN (assume ignition - key information) etched into the metal, I assume that others might have the same. I am sure these were Hertz use not SAI.

There were 18 Hertz cars shipped to Tennessee. The last two shipped 4/12/66 were in the 1700s. They were designated as going to Memphis.