News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Question ref valve covers on ebay

Started by TedS, May 03, 2019, 08:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedS

Just asking questions. Shouldn't these valve covers listed on Ebay have the Shelby American number S7MS6582 in raised characters on the inside to be correct? Does this appear to be a case of old original Ford box with repo part?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-68-Shelby-GT500-GT500KR-lemans-valve-cover-set-from-1968/273663438494?epid=1737756828&hash=item3fb79cae9e:g:THkAAOSwH0lcQlau

Ted

acman63

not necessarily -  NOS Ford yes  but not assemblyline Shelby.  Keep in mind Shelby sold the rights to Cobra name to Ford
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

TedS

Thanks Jim.

I guess "Side Oilers" and I had similar questions floating in our heads yesterday as we both started threads about 68 BB valve covers.

I found a thread about these on the FE forum that has some further explanations.
https://www.fordfe.com/cobra-lemans-valve-cover-info-t113273.html

Thanks
Ted

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TedS on May 04, 2019, 11:06:04 AM
Thanks Jim.

I guess "Side Oilers" and I had similar questions floating in our heads yesterday as we both started threads about 68 BB valve covers.

I found a thread about these on the FE forum that has some further explanations.
https://www.fordfe.com/cobra-lemans-valve-cover-info-t113273.html

Thanks
Ted
There is good information mixed in with a lot of inaccurate information in your posted link to the FE forum thread . The problem is to someone who is not sure is that it will leave someone as mixed up as ever not knowing what is accurate and what is not.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TedS

Bob, you are correct, there is a lot of mixed up talk in that link about 67's, 68's, 428, 427, sand cast, die cast, etc.  I tried to sort thru that and pull out the info pertaining to 68 Shelby GT500 and 500KR Cobra LeMans BB assembly line vs. Ford OTC and reproductions thereof. From what I can gather the Shelby assembly-line VC's are marked with Shelby name and number thus no confusion. There are characteristics of this marking that make it difficult to fake by adding to repos. The Ford OTC VC's are "identical" to assembly line but have no markings. To me, the "reproductions" appear identical to the Ford OTC. Hopefully I haven't confused things further.

Thank you
Ted

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TedS on May 04, 2019, 01:53:13 PM
Bob, you are correct, there is a lot of mixed up talk in that link about 67's, 68's, 428, 427, sand cast, die cast, etc.  I tried to sort thru that and pull out the info pertaining to 68 Shelby GT500 and 500KR Cobra LeMans BB assembly line vs. Ford OTC and reproductions thereof. From what I can gather the Shelby assembly-line VC's are marked with Shelby name and number thus no confusion. There are characteristics of this marking that make it difficult to fake by adding to repos. The Ford OTC VC's are "identical" to assembly line but have no markings. To me, the "reproductions" appear identical to the Ford OTC. Hopefully I haven't confused things further.

Thank you
Ted
To simplify further the assemblyline and the repros look basically the same on the outside . The slight difference between the assemblyline and later service or even the current repro is the S7MS engineering number. future repros may not be as good or step up their game with a engineering number (not a trademark) . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby