Author Topic: Old Magazine Ads & Artwork  (Read 20988 times)

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
Old Magazine Ads & Artwork
« on: May 09, 2019, 06:24:30 AM »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 06:19:54 PM by Chris Thauberger »
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Chris Thauberger

• View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
Re: Old Ad Artwork
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 06:24:38 AM »

Chris Thauberger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 06:24:47 AM »

Chris Thauberger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 06:24:55 AM »

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 08:23:32 AM »
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Bill Collins

• '65 GT350 006 owner since 1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 10:55:54 AM »

This artwork was used by AMT models as the box art for the original issue of their '68 GT500 kit in 1968. The artwork setting is an actual place - the entrance to the Turf Club at Hollywood Park thoroughbred horse racing track in Los Angeles. The piece was likely inspired by an early '68 Shelby promotional photo taken there in the summer of 1967. That photo can be seen on the Styles Collection web site - the link is https://stylescollection.zenfolio.com/p359848467/h6d40915#h52cabbb

This kit also contained a record of Carroll Shelby narrating driving a lap around Riverside Raceway in the '67 Super Snake GT00. Here is a link to hear the record:
https://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-AMT-Presents-Carroll-Shelby-And-The-Sound-Of-The-Cobra-/release/872553
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 11:22:12 AM »

This artwork was used by AMT models as the box art for the original issue of their '68 GT500 kit in 1968. The artwork setting is an actual place - the entrance to the Turf Club at Hollywood Park thoroughbred horse racing track in Los Angeles. The piece was likely inspired by an early '68 Shelby promotional photo taken there in the summer of 1967. That photo can be seen on the Styles Collection web site - the link is https://stylescollection.zenfolio.com/p359848467/h6d40915#h52cabbb

This kit also contained a record of Carroll Shelby narrating driving a lap around Riverside Raceway in the '67 Super Snake GT00. Here is a link to hear the record:
https://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-AMT-Presents-Carroll-Shelby-And-The-Sound-Of-The-Cobra-/release/872553

bill, thanks for the info. knew i had seen it somewhere else

let me click on brians site, thanks again

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 11:36:48 AM »
Ewww, this thread is right up my alley.

In fact, the first two posts are scans that I made from my collection. The first being a Ford Annual Report and the second from an issue of Sports Car Graphic. That Cougar illustration is a two page spread and it took me awhile to remove the "gutter" in Photoshop.

Speaking of AMT box art, below is a scan I made of an original illustration that I couldn't resist purchasing when it became available.

- Phillip

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:26:15 PM by propayne »
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 12:02:40 PM »

Any Idea about the 508 on the back of his Jacket?

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 12:03:12 PM »

Anyone else notice the 66 Shelby 10 Spokes?

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 01:20:10 PM »

Any Idea about the 508 on the back of his Jacket?

I think the setting for that illustration is some sort of a horse show or competition and the # on the jacket has to do with that.

- Phillip

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 01:23:19 PM »
One of my all-time favorites - more than likely a George Bartell.

- Phillip

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 05:26:33 PM by propayne »

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 01:25:09 PM »
And we wonder why the average car enthusiast thinks the '67 Shelby's came with Le Mans stripes...

- Phillip

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 01:57:34 PM »
Phillip thanks for the two '67 ad illustrations, the second one is clear enough to see the upper scoop lights on the two Shelby's.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 02:00:41 PM »
+ 1
Ewww, this thread is right up my alley.

In fact, the first two posts are scans that I made from my collection. The first being a Ford Annual Report and the second from an issue of Sports Car Graphic. That Cougar illustration is a two page spread and it took me awhile to remove the "gutter" in Photoshop.

Speaking of AMT box art, below is a scan I made of an original illustration that I couldn't resist purchasing when it became available.

- Phillip

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy