News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Questions from a newbie

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, May 18, 2019, 12:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

Hi, from a newbie, to my soon to be new friends.
I just purchased a 1969 Shelby GT 500, grabber blue car, and am looking for guidance in the restoration process. I am aware that most restoration books tend to be mediocre at best, but could you fine folks point me to one of the better books out there for reference? And please don't be afraid to point out what is wrong in those books.
I have been professionally restoring cars for nearly 40 years now. But my specialty has always leaned toward the Mopars. I tend to be very detailed conscious, and strive to be as authentic and correct as I can for putting a car together. I am aware that there are always nuances and inconsistencies (which is why I am asking for YOUR help) to minimize as many mistakes, and reworks, as I can.
You, as current owners, enthusiasts, and knowledgeable experts can also help me (and hopefully others) by pointing out some of the more common mistakes made in restoring Shelby's. Anything to prevent me from having to redo something (because I did wrong the first time) will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to everyone in advance.

CSX 4133

First of kasearch@ix.netcom.com welcome to Shelby ownership. I think you will find that there are individuals on this forum that will be of more assistance concerning your car than most, if not all, the books in publication. Hopefully these same individuals will post there thoughts and offer to lend you assistance as needed. Best of luck, if you have specific questions I would post them to get you started.

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

Thanks Steven. I can use all the help that is out there. I want this car to be right when done (next year - I hope).

J_Speegle

Agree with the previous comments by CSX 4133. There is no one book or even a collection of books that will answer all the questions you will come up with in this process. Also every book has it's mistakes or some dated information that you will be likely unable to discern from the correct information.

At the same time some basic starting points will be the Mustang & Shelby Assembly manuals but cross and double check what you find there since workers didn't always follow what Ford engineers wanted and things changed during production. Always keep in mind when your specific project was assembled since that created differences also.

Suggest you just start reading through all the 69 post in that section of the site as that will likely help you determine exactly how far to take the restoration your doing, educate yourself all the while helping you start forming questions.  Challenge will be that you don't know what you don't know so the learning curve can be steep but like many others it can be done. Just no Easy button.

Lots of years of experience here – waiting to help were we can.

Also don't want to forget to mention that if your car has not been restored sometime in the past don't just start stripping it until you document. There are details you need from your unrestored car that no one else can tell you for sure and documentation of what it was will really help in the future when there are choices or questions. This is not to say that things don't get changed by prior owners or other shops it's just that once details are gone you can't include that information is decisions in the future and many owners/shops make this mistake.   
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

couldn't agree with you more Jeff about the details. I usually photograph everything as I disassemble. Unfortunately, this car has been gone through before I bought it, including a color change. I do have the manuals on order for the car but hoping for some "basic" info before I begin to tackle the true detail. That's what I was hoping to find in a general knowledge book.  I am sure that I will be posting a lot more in the future to ask all of you for input. Just looking to make a super nice car for my wife.

johnzajc@gmail.com

Hi--I have  Grabber blue fairly rare, only 1 of 18 and then it was also the car that was not sold to dealer but to Shelby Corporate Office---since you have done it before you realy do not need whom to deal with , BUT whom not to deal with. Most of the people that will go out of the way to help you are the nicest people you can possibly dream to ever meet. In my own experience I was my own worst enemy for being shy to ask questions. Do remember for every question you ask there is another 1000 of us waning also to know the answer. In a nut shell you are not alone you are rather in good company with some of the nicest people .             However guards up when buying parts, stay away from guys like Andrew and few more. my experience pay more from established collectors and shops, and you will have parts that work and are correct --Good luck---John

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

Thanks for the insight John.  And I will be very cautious and as always, I will question everything (until I get a consensus where most agree).  As for Andrew, I do not know of whom you speak. Please, EVERYONE, do share your experiences and guidance.  It will be appreciated.

kingchief

Yes, he is better known as the Pookie!  Burnsville, N.C. is the key location as Coralsnake notes he has MANY names!

Steve
SFM 6S406

roddster

By the way, judging by your most recent other post:  Restoration: returning the car to its first delivered by the dealer state of condition.
Painting up, prettying it up, cleaning it up, is not restoration.  Most of us do this.  Its OK, its our car.

J_Speegle

Quote from: roddster on May 21, 2019, 09:31:29 AM
................... Restoration: returning the car to its first delivered by the dealer state of condition.
Painting up, prettying it up, cleaning it up, is not restoration.  Most of us do this.  Its OK, its our car.

+1 Its a choice  :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

Roddster (and others) what is everyone's opinion about "over restoring" a car?  Highly polishing all the brightwork, No orange peel, etc.

J_Speegle

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on May 21, 2019, 04:46:26 PM
Roddster (and others) what is everyone's opinion about "over restoring" a car?  Highly polishing all the brightwork, No orange peel, etc.

It's just another choice like modifying a car is. Know plenty of owners and builders that can't bring themselves to apply overspray, seam sealers, sound deadeners and other factory practices.  Or just want to produce a "nicer" prettier product.  Maybe in the circle they run in the factory details are distracting or are seen as flaws. Had one owner who didn't want his 65 painted Wimbledon white because it was a "dirty" white and yes he didn't want orange peel either though he eventually saw the value in going with the factory look.

Some of these improved cars end up attending Concours D'Elegance shows and do better at those.   

SNAKEBIT

KAsearch, welcome. I'm from the Mother Mopar camp from way back and, like you, have acquired a liking for Shelbys. I'm glad you have your first Shelby. Mine is still off in the future.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

roddster

You gave me a tough question.  It depends a lot on what venue you plan to display the car at.  Some judging is easy going, some others are exacting.  Some you wish you just handed over the paint, sealers and stuff and say to them "install it to your dream idea", because you never understand exactly what they want, or why.  Some have an ajenda, some don't like private restorers, some don't like "that" restoration place.
   These cars where assembled at Ford by about 2000 different people, and with Shelbys add in some 50 more.  Every one is different, day to day not the same, day to day not "in the mood".  So variences happen.  I wish some judges would recognize that.
   But, in the end you have to put a car together that makes you step back and say "I did that".

Good luck with your Fix-up, or restoration.  What ever you choose.  Enjoy.