News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 Shelby Notchback "Little Red"

Started by Richstang, February 12, 2018, 11:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

I'm not sure I follow you, by the only one explanation. I do understand AO Smith was the exclusive suppliers of the '68 fiberglass.

I guess the question is did they ever send that 3rd set of '68 fiberglass parts to SA.
I'm thinking they did not, and thus SA updated the Coupe, to what we see in these photos.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Coralsnake

First, I would ask ....when are those photos taken?
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Richstang

This magazine photo caption notes they were taken at Riverside with the '68 intro (July 7th, 1967)

Richstang

We also find the photographers name "Pete Biro" along side the photos in this clipping.

Coralsnake

I think thats accurate. I think the hand written notes to "update" the car were written after the photos were taken.

I would place the notes in the JULY 67 time frame.

So, the first 1968s showed up at Smith in September 67

Richstang

Quote from: Richstang on March 22, 2018, 07:32:27 PM
This magazine photo caption notes they were taken at Riverside with the '68 intro (July 7th, 1967)

Also, I think it's important to note that this is the later tail light panel that shows up in mid production for '67.
To be shown in January at the LA auto show it would had the earlier flat taillight panel installed at that time.

Coralsnake

Okay, thats reasonable. So you are saying there are likely at least two versions of the 1967 configuration?

Coralsnake

I noticed those SHELBY letters are not the production font....

Richstang

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 22, 2018, 07:41:28 PM
Okay, thats reasonable. So you are saying there are likely at least two versions of the 1967 configuration?

Yes, I believe so.

Something else to consider is the outboard grille shown in these photos. I've had conversations with the thought it was built with the slant inboard grille. By the SA completion date of 1/4/67 (as noted in the registry) that would indicate a 2 pc slanted grille with the light mounting plates (not the band/clamps).

However, The outboard grille is reported to be on a few cars prior to that build date. I think this is owner reported info from the registry. I can't be sure since this was noted on the old forum. What's interesting is that #0463 is one of the cars on the list. I'll look into the other cars and report back here.

EDIT
#0243 was a 12/7/66 SA build date reported as purchased with outboards by current owner, but remnants of original inboard configuration were found
#0463 was a 2/9/67 SA build date so that doesn't mean anything here.
#0544 was a 2/3/67 SA build date so that doesn't help either.

Well, I'm a chump!
:-[
I should have double checked this old info before posting.
The correct SA completion date for the Coupe #0131 is 12/7/66 per the registry, not 1/4/67.

That said there is still one car built two days prior and one built two days after with a registry/owner reported outboard grille.
I need to check with Dave to see if they are believable facts. Other than these two cars, there is only car with the outboard in Mid January and then two GT500's from the Goodyear tire tests above, built in February.

Richstang

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 22, 2018, 07:35:46 PM
I think thats accurate. I think the hand written notes to "update" the car were written after the photos were taken.

I would place the notes in the JULY 67 time frame.

So, the first 1968s showed up at Smith in September 67

I missed this post.
The date of the notes seems to be critical to this photo version. My thoughts for the moment are that they were written before these photos.
My thinking is in haste the car was updated with these minor changes from a standard 67 appearance for the '68 private press intro.

Coralsnake

I think the car was updated from the 1967 version to full blown 1968 version after August of 1967

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 22, 2018, 08:58:44 PM
I think the car was updated from the 1967 version to full blown 1968 version after August of 1967

I have never seen pictures of that? Have you? It continues to be a mystery car.

Have you see any information that it was sent to Michigan? I haven't. It just seems to have disappeared? It makes me wonder why the Green Hornet was built if Little Red still existed?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

My understanding is the cars had very different purposes. There is always a newer, better version.

The two cars must have looked very similar at one point (other than color)

shelbydoug

I'd guess and say that considering the perceived specialty of these cars even back in the day that Little Red will in some form or way show up in the future?

I don't remember anyone suggesting that it was stolen? Maybe it will be discovered someday abandoned alongside the Panamerica highway?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

I dont think anyone ever said stolen. That was reportedly the 67 convertible, but it came back.