News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 Shelby Notchback "Little Red"

Started by Richstang, February 12, 2018, 11:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Well, there's my memory of 'one' of them being stolen?

All of the engineering cars were supposed to have been crushed.

One of the first Cobras was supposed to be also.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Richstang

There are several points in the interview where Goodell's recollection was off the mark. He even mentions that at 72 years old he can't recall all the details. While the interview is very interesting, we can't take it for fact on every note.

example; The '69 GT500 painted pink for Playboy, was not a convertible!
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Richstang

Yes, the convertible was "stolen". There's a few stories about that.

Interesting that Fred states it was found dismantled with precision. The radio wires were unplugged not cut, etc...
I think most of us know why that is...

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on March 25, 2018, 02:34:23 PM
Yes, the convertible was "stolen". There's a few stories about that.

Interesting that Fred states it was found dismantled with precision. The radio wires were unplugged not cut, etc...
I think most of us know why that is...
Also insurance claim papers that Brain has indicating what parts were stolen off of the convertible.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

Im thinking the "they were crushed" explaination has run out of gas.....
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 13, 2018, 06:02:58 PMThe story of crushing cars has been greatly exaggerated.
By the 80s Ford was very strict on crushing. I know here on the west coast a rep from Ford went the the crusher removed the VIN watched & photoed the car being crushed. That stuff went back to Dearborn. A lot of the cars were warranty and flood cars that had been used and or crashed in movies along with the few pre production test beds that were based at Stroppe's.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Richstang on February 13, 2018, 08:11:44 PM
Quote from: Coralsnake on February 13, 2018, 06:02:58 PM
Well, resurrected might night be a good word. Many cars were just never crushed. The story of crushing cars has been greatly exaggerated.

There is also a hand written note that this car was to be updated to 1968 specs, so it maybe hiding somewhere.

Wouldn't that be something to find! Little Red in full '68 disguise. After 50 years, my hopes are not very high.
It's parked right next to Jim Morrison's 67.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Coralsnake

thefordshow

I think in Brian's notes that he dug up the term "Disposed of" is used, not crushed.   My understanding is that units like this could be donated to schools, prisons, learning facilities, etc for a tax credit.

roddster

The donation route is a possibility.  Remember, the 67 prototype of Lowell Otter's came through that route.  But, like a lot of "coupe" things, dime-a -dozen....crush it.  Would be excellent if found still around.

shelbydoug

To me it is unlikely that any Shelby vehicle would be seen as "a dime a dozen".  The green hornet is a good example.

When found, no one knew what it was but they knew it wasn't 'normal'.

Of course if you were talking about a Corvette or Mopar guy, that's a different story. Those two usually need to share a single brain and need to wait for their turn to use it?

From another thread...could this be what happened to it?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

So far, we havent found any evidence cars were crushed , we have ample evidence cars were updated. The 69 pre-productions, the Green Hornet and the red, convertible to name a few.

Richstang

So what cars are left that were deemed to be "disposed" of?  For 1967 I can only think of two.

Missing / Disposed
67 #0176 GT350 Lime Gold prototype fastback (Later believed to be modified into a GT500
67 #0131 GT500 Candy Apple Red hardtop "Little Red"

Found
67 #V-732-8 GT500 Candy Apple Red fastback (possibly had the engine removed and put in #0176)
67 #0100 GT500 Candy Apple Red fastback / engineering / first GT500
67 #0139 GT500 Candy Apple Red convertible / aka the '68 GT500 prototype convertible
67 #0463 GT500 Lime Gold fastback used as the '68 GT500 prototype fastback
68 CS Lime Gold hardtop used for the Green Hornet
69 GT500 Black pre-production convertible
69 GT500 Black pre-production fastback

Coralsnake

I think there were four 1969 preproduction cars, all have been found. But, I could be mistaken.

billups67

Pete, there are only 3 of the 4 pre production prototypes that have been found. The black convert, the black/red fastback and the gulfstream fastback that was used as 4 wheel disc brake test car. There were also 2 pilot cars in 69. Those 2 cars are accounted for.