Author Topic: Rear leaf spring color & good quality replacement gas tank for 68 GT500?  (Read 1787 times)

6s341

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Hi Folks...
Does anyone know what the correct color name is for the rear leaf springs?
Looks like a dark charcoal gray to me.
Also, any recommendations for a high quality replacement fuel tank,  both for an early 68 GT5OO.
Thanks!

67350#1242

• View Profile
Virginia Classic Mustang:  I think these are made by Spectra in Canada
http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-68-Mustang-Gas-Tank-with-drain-plug-P1985.aspx

67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
The rear springs were originally phosphated. It is a chemical dye process

Get a tank with the drain option

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
If you choose to paint them then use the Eastwood zinc phosphate spray paint product . It looks dark like the spring steel leaf typically is. It is too dark for other zinc phosphate items like hood hinges etc on the car but very close to the leafs.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s341

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it!
Have a great afternoon~ 8)

Craig

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Have sprayed them (paint) the rear leaves in year past but rust will tend to still creep in over time especially where they wear on each other (leaves) or where the friction pads rub. For me I found a light base ( that they don't appear painted) of Eastwood phosphate once you have diassembled and clean each leaf followed by a dry coat of interior charcoal metallic improves the final look. Clamps are a bare steel non-heat treated look. Once painted you can add a light coat of oil as you would it you refinished the leaves using some of the chemical treatments many choose instead of painting them
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s341

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Thanks Jeff, Bob and Pete, and #1242!

Craig