News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1965 fuel pumps

Started by gt350bp, June 03, 2019, 03:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350bp

Just received a new Carter 65 canister style fuel pump and it is significantly different than the Carter pumps from 15-20 years ago! Does anyone have a better option than the new Carter pump made in Korea? The pump diameter is even bigger and just does not look close enough for my liking. I want a new pump for the trip to SAAC 44, as will be driving from Florida. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp

J_Speegle

A better option?  At least an option would be to purchase a used or NOS non- Hipo fuel pump from the period and have it rebuilt so that you can use modern fuels. That is what many choose to do.   Or purchase one from someone that has already found, restored and rebuilt since you have set a time limit for your need.

If you don't care about the little details you can purchase a later one with only the CARTER on the side of the main body but it will still cost the same to rebuild it so in the long run the cost different is minor. If your considering an original Hipo fuel pump - those can get expensive
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gt350bp on June 03, 2019, 03:48:22 PM
Just received a new Carter 65 canister style fuel pump and it is significantly different than the Carter pumps from 15-20 years ago! Does anyone have a better option than the new Carter pump made in Korea? The pump diameter is even bigger and just does not look close enough for my liking. I want a new pump for the trip to SAAC 44, as will be driving from Florida. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp
All I have is original pumps that have been rebuilt  (FYI it cost me 250.00 just to get the old crimp style rebuilt) . Here is a picture of another look a like alternative . This Carter style has the integral filter like the 65 . It was used on 64.5 on 289 hipos. It is in less demand and is rebuildable with the same carter rebuild kit Mustang vendors sell for the 67 and up Carter SB and BB fuelpumps . It it is still pricier then a generic auto parts store alternative but looks pretty darn close and you can always rebuild it yourself unlike the crimp together style. I do have this look alike core needing a rebuild kit for sale along with the assemblyline looking button top rebuilt pump . PM me for more details.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

dockbay

Hi Bob or Jeff!! So Can you help clear up my confusion about these pumps. Is there a definitive Carter Model# that was used on all the 65's? Some of the 65's? Maybe more than one model number? I've seen 4201-S, 4193-S.... And what is the correct MFG Name casting? "1719 CARbureTER, "Carter" or some other variant? Should it be a "Button top" or not? Thanks for the help!!!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: dockbay on July 17, 2019, 02:20:07 PM
Hi Bob or Jeff!! So Can you help clear up my confusion about these pumps. Is there a definitive Carter Model# that was used on all the 65's? Some of the 65's? Maybe more than one model number? I've seen 4201-S, 4193-S.... And what is the correct MFG Name casting? "1719 CARbureTER, "Carter" or some other variant? Should it be a "Button top" or not? Thanks for the help!!!
First off the 4201S is a 1966 fuel pump for a hipo. It doesn't have the integral fuel filter. The 3939S is the 1965 hipo fuel pump with the integral fuel filter. From the factory they would both have the CAR bure TER trademark and the button top. Both are very rare and consequently expensive fuel pumps that are in the 1500-2500.00 range restored if you can even find one . The 3911S is the non hipo version with the intergrel fuel filter .That one once installed looks identical to the 3939S with the exception of the small 1/8 tall numbers (3911S) stamped on to the side of the mounting flange. That is the one most use that don't want to invest in the more rare and expensive 3939S hipo fuelpump. Don't get me wrong in that the 3911S button top CAR bure TER marked fuel pump is getting very hard to find as a rebuildable core. It cost approximatly 250.00 to have it rebuilt and about 6 months give or take for it to get done. They typically sell restored in the 500.00 range. I hope this helps .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

On all street 65's - all the same

CARbureTER with button top

All with the same stamped, on base, Carter number 3939S and date though dates will vary given the production date

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

mygt350

And it has the correct red star above the F, M and C on the canister. Nice piece.

Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mygt350 on July 17, 2019, 03:27:21 PM
And it has the correct red star above the F, M and C on the canister. Nice piece.
FYI the repro canisters have the stars now. The color is different though.

mygt350

dockbay

Thanks for the education!!

zray

Try Flying Fred for quality restored HiPo fuel pumps.  PM. contact info if needed.

Z

mygt350

Fred did my 3939S and it's Beautiful. Fred does best job.

dockbay

Thanks guys! In touch with Fred.  Just in search of a good rebuildable core.  Any leads would be appreciated..

Bob Gaines

Quote from: dockbay on July 23, 2019, 01:48:21 AM
Thanks guys! In touch with Fred.  Just in search of a good rebuildable core.  Any leads would be appreciated..
Which rebuildable core are you looking for? Are you looking for the 3939S or 3911S ?

s_eagle

I think this may show the color difference(s) Bob mentioned in his post above.  The color more of an off white and the logo is a darker shade, almost maroon. Obtained from a great fellow forum member!