News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Group 22 & 24 Assembly Line Battery

Started by Bossbill, February 13, 2018, 08:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: BGlover67 on February 26, 2018, 08:45:33 PM
What's really sad about this is that there obviously are people who care whether or not they have the correct battery for their car, yet the manufactures aren't willing to spend the money to make the appropriate molds.  This was discussed ad nauseum on the old forum, but I still can't believe I can't buy a correct group 22F battery.  There has got to be enough Mustang owners combined to justify the effort.  Or perhaps with the advent of new technologies like 3d printing, a less traditional method could be employed?

Couldn't agree more!  I wish someone would reproduce the correct battery.  I believe Bob had mentioned getting close with one company, only to have them get skittish at the last minute...I could be wrong, though.
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on February 26, 2018, 10:26:53 PM
Quote from: BGlover67 on February 26, 2018, 08:45:33 PM
What's really sad about this is that there obviously are people who care whether or not they have the correct battery for their car, yet the manufactures aren't willing to spend the money to make the appropriate molds.  This was discussed ad nauseum on the old forum, but I still can't believe I can't buy a correct group 22F battery.  There has got to be enough Mustang owners combined to justify the effort.  Or perhaps with the advent of new technologies like 3d printing, a less traditional method could be employed?

Couldn't agree more!  I wish someone would reproduce the correct battery.  I believe Bob had mentioned getting close with one company, only to have them get skittish at the last minute...I could be wrong, though.
Almost . It was I who got skittish when I heard all of the bad PR about Antique Battery customer service or lack of it in regards to no returned phone calls ,no returned emails , back orders with no communication etc. Could I expect any better with communication after sending  my only 65-67 22 F assemblyline battery?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1802

The repo batteries are crap.  Mine lasted less than two years

roddster

Bob, I am not surprised by your reply.  This is the something that is better than the nothing we have right now.  I have no idea about your point is incrrect anything, as, I too took the rubbing off of the fellow who had the assembly line battery at the Springfield IL MCA national some years ago.  And I took that rubbing to a sign maker.
   Now, who was the "MCA official" who stated "We don't need the 65-67 correct battery" that still now we still don't have.
  And, why can't it be an empty case you drop over a good battery.   Thats right, seems the repop batteries do not last too long.
    Anyway, I never said it was perfect, just closer to an original look.

kingchief

Agreed.  The repo batteries are expensive and do not last long.  Mine only lasted LESS than 6 months.  Got a nice battery and just added the topper.

Steve
SFM 6S406

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on February 27, 2018, 10:05:55 AM
  Bob, I am not surprised by your reply.  This is the something that is better than the nothing we have right now.  I have no idea about your point is incrrect anything, as, I too took the rubbing off of the fellow who had the assembly line battery at the Springfield IL MCA national some years ago.  And I took that rubbing to a sign maker.
   Now, who was the "MCA official" who stated "We don't need the 65-67 correct battery" that still now we still don't have.
  And, why can't it be an empty case you drop over a good battery.   Thats right, seems the repop batteries do not last too long.
    Anyway, I never said it was perfect, just closer to an original look.
Rod, I don't doubt you took a rubbing. Again if you compare your applique to the original battery top in Jeff's post, they are completely different . I don't know if you really don't see the difference or are just frustrated that you can't get the detail right and are lashing out at me. The two images are by far not a mirror image. You must have taken that rubbing to your sign maker who reset the letters and characters . The letters and characters the sign maker used were from his stock and not the exact same size or design of the Ford ones in your rubbing. Printers think this is good enough . I have had to deal with this many times when asking to duplicate a stamp "exact" . Many times their idea of exact is not the same as a mirror image . Your solution is a little too far from perfect IMO. It IS a step in the right direction and I have ALWAYS given you credit for the effort. However it still is not comparable enough to give it a pass IMO.  If something like that is good enough then there is no incentive for the after market to go to the extra time and expense to get it right. Remember when a exact exhaust system was not available ,remember when no one rebuilt buttontop fuel pumps. If the poor alternatives were given a pass then those vendors might not ever try to find a solution.  I have tried to explain this many times now.  If you can't see that then that is on you.  It will not do any good to name the person at MCA that you are asking about. The person at MCA that messed up the deal with Scott Drake to do the batteries has retired . It will not help to call him out. The other  alternative you mention of a empty case that would fit over a existing battery as long as the case looks correct. The problem I see is finding a existing battery that will fit in a 22F shorter case and also has enough CCA to work properly.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

JD please do one of your great side by side of the assemblyline battery picture and Rods picture to try and help him see a difference between the two.

JD

Bob, at a clients today, will see if I have the images and post later if I do.

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

Maybe this will suffice in the meantime

Don't have the exact measurements of each to scale them so just scaled them to the tips of the arrows for comparison purposes roddster graphic is the top example

Appears that the original designer used justify to stretch the second row to the parameters

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JD

OK, back at the office.
Jeff pretty much covered this above, but here is another similar comparison...

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on February 27, 2018, 04:28:47 PM
OK, back at the office.
Jeff pretty much covered this above, but here is another similar comparison...
Thanks to both you and Jeff. I measured a original . 5 1/4  x 1 1/2  measured from the edge of the yellow letters long ways and from the top edge of the first sentence of letters to the bottom edge of the last sentence letters. Rods measurements includes the space between the edges of the board/base it is made on so I can't figure what the measurements are in comparison to the assemblyline battery solely by his picture. Another measurement to consider is how thick the board/base is that the letters are made into. How much taller then the battery top surface will it be/look given the thickness? Will the bottom of the board/base be routed out to fit over the smaller diameter 1/16 raised pad the 68 sticker normally goes on ? If not the board/base will not fit flush to the battery surface. If you are going forward with this project I would make the image of the letters and characters (arrows ) match the original, the base sits flat on the battery surface top along with being as thin as practical.

roddster

Lets look at the photo of the mumbo-jumbo plate as mounted.  One thing I have yet to do is sand off the backing plate to see how that will work.  Probably better, but I just need some time.

J_Speegle

Quote from: roddster on February 28, 2018, 01:55:27 PM
Lets look at the photo of the mumbo-jumbo plate as mounted.  One thing I have yet to do is sand off the backing plate to see how that will work.  Probably better, but I just need some time.

Thanks for posting - its very apparent that the one in the picture (the insert) is very different from the graphic you provided in reply #7

Guess the challenge now may be getting the battery itself to stick it to
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

roddster

Well, I know what the solution is.  Take a mould off an original battery.  And use that.  Around here (the Chicago area rust belt) you'll more likely have a dinosaur walk down your driveway.
  Those are long gone. 
   Having a slight problem with the place that made these the last time a couple of years back.  We're not sure what either of us wants or can do.  Might be a bust.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on February 28, 2018, 10:46:06 PM
  Well, I know what the solution is.  Take a mould off an original battery.  And use that.  Around here (the Chicago area rust belt) you'll more likely have a dinosaur walk down your driveway.
  Those are long gone. 
   Having a slight problem with the place that made these the last time a couple of years back.  We're not sure what either of us wants or can do.  Might be a bust.
PM me to discuss ideas on how I can help to get this accomplished.