Author Topic: Fender bolt  (Read 3147 times)

TedS

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Fender bolt
« on: June 13, 2019, 07:58:50 PM »
Yea, I know, the fender bolts are not supposed to be painted body color. That's what I intend to fix. I'd like to buy a set of correct replacements so I can take these out and strip off the paint at my leisure. However, I haven't been able to find any that match these markings. I assume they are original.

Ted

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fender bolt
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 08:46:42 PM »
AMK makes a reproduction, but it's not 100% exact.

Restoring the originals would be the best way to go.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

TedS

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 06:42:45 AM »
Thanks Charles
What's the finish supposed to be? I've seem phosphate and natural.

Ted

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 07:10:17 AM »
That is a late 1968 head marking. They were original a silver zinc finish (shinny not satin)

TedS

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 07:41:36 AM »
Thanks Pete. That fits with mid-June '68 build date.

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 08:35:53 AM »
How many are you looking for?  I have quite a few fasteners leftover.

Chris
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

TedS

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 11:03:19 AM »
My car is in remote storage so I was wanting a full set of 12. That way I could change out all 12 in one trip but still have correct bolts while refinishing the existing ones.

I can get the AMK set that Charles pointed me to but I would have to find some other fasteners to buy to meet AMK's minimum order.

I know, I'm making this too complicated. With the car in remote storage and all the things I have going on in life I have to think in terms of small tasks I can start and finish so I can still drive and show the car every chance I get

Thanks to all
Ted

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 12:02:36 PM »
Ted,

You can very often get the same AMK fasteners sold by many of the common Mustang supply stores without the minimum order situation.

Corey

TXShelbyman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 05:23:01 PM »
Would these headstamps also be considered correct for January - Febuary Shelbys?

When things go bad just hit the throttle, may not solve the situation but does end the suspense.

Formally watts428

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 05:36:29 PM »
I would say the r-b-w bolts with the target were used...

..the anchors were typically used by AOSmith and are usually black phosphated. They hold hoods and decklids on the hinges

The other common bolt looks like the one above, but an “s” replaces the four dots (first post)

Every Ford bolt has a unique number. This bolt is numbered 378178. You can identify which bolt you need by looking at the Ford assembly line manuals. This bolt is commonly used to mount front fenders.

A part number suffix is added to identify the finish on the bolt. The bolt on the left is 378178-S7 . The "S7" identifies the silver finish. This bolt tends to be on later built cars. The bolt in the center has the same part number, but a different head design. This design is more common on early built 1968 Shelbys.

The last bolt is a 378178-S2 . AO Smith used the black oxide version of this bolt to mount hoods and rear decklids to the hinges on 1968 Shelbys. It has a small anchor as a design.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:40:41 PM by Coralsnake »

Chris Thauberger

• View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 06:22:39 PM »
My car is in remote storage so I was wanting a full set of 12. That way I could change out all 12 in one trip but still have correct bolts while refinishing the existing ones.

I can get the AMK set that Charles pointed me to but I would have to find some other fasteners to buy to meet AMK's minimum order.

I know, I'm making this too complicated. With the car in remote storage and all the things I have going on in life I have to think in terms of small tasks I can start and finish so I can still drive and show the car every chance I get

Thanks to all
Ted

These work for you?

PM me you address, no charge.

Chris

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:40:19 PM by Chris Thauberger »

TedS

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 06:40:07 PM »
Wow Chris, that is so nice of you. PM on its way.
And thanks to everyone for the help and information provided.

Ted

Mike Shally

• original owner, 68 Shelby, MCA Gold Card
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 07:32:39 PM »
Car 006 built Nov 67 had SI style bolts on the fenders.
Yes this is the second time I have gone thru a ground up restoration but I can tell which bolts were re-plated.
There were also several 67 style bolts used on the hood and hood spring area. These bolts had the star style washer.
original owner, 68 Shelby judge, MCA Gold Card Judge, MCACN Shelby Judge

TedS

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 08:00:48 PM »
Wow Chris, that is so nice of you. PM on its way.
And thanks to everyone for the help and information provided.

Ted
Just to follow-up...
Received a set of bolts, courtesy of Chris T, and what a difference 12 new bolts makes. A pack of new bolts and 30 minutes of time to change them out and something mediocre now looks professional. Before and after pics below

Ted

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 08:06:31 PM by TedS »

Chris Thauberger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 09:42:15 PM »
Much more authentic than the painted ones Ted.

Have to love it when a plan comes together.

Lookin' good.

Chris