News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 GT350 B/FX racer found in Chicago.

Started by Thomas, June 19, 2019, 11:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris Speedster

Quote from: Thomas on July 02, 2019, 12:13:18 PM
Quote from: Richstang on July 02, 2019, 11:56:49 AM
From February until the end of May there were 125 white GT350's built at San Jose.

Question; How long after body panels were stamped did they end up at the assembly plants for the builds?

What I'm getting at here is that if the oldest date I can find so far is 2/26 (Rear tail panel), when would this car have been assembled? shipped? Is there anyone else who has a SJ March build / assembly date who has knowledge of their panel stamping dates?

It might help to narrow down a Ford plant assembly date if there are other people with similar date codes...?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thomas,
You need to buy a used registry from someone herein SAAC.
You have detective work to do, that will be time consuming.
Maybe somebody here will break it down for you, but it might be wise to buy a used one,
It contains so much info you need.

Richstang just jumped in , narrowed to 116 white cars, 116 4 speed cars Rich ?
Bossbill on the radiator, and mention again of the 4 speed numbers.
I and others will help, but you need to get an old registry.

See what cars in the Feb - April build times are blank, show re-body, wrecked repaired by clip or whatever.

Your new found names you gather out of the Registry, will need googling, web search and calls too.
Respectfully submitted,
John

Keep going Thomas,
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Richstang

Quote from: Harris Speedster on July 02, 2019, 05:45:58 PM
Quote from: Thomas on July 02, 2019, 12:13:18 PM
Quote from: Richstang on July 02, 2019, 11:56:49 AM
From February until the end of May there were 125 white GT350's built at San Jose.

Question; How long after body panels were stamped did they end up at the assembly plants for the builds?

What I'm getting at here is that if the oldest date I can find so far is 2/26 (Rear tail panel), when would this car have been assembled? shipped? Is there anyone else who has a SJ March build / assembly date who has knowledge of their panel stamping dates?

It might help to narrow down a Ford plant assembly date if there are other people with similar date codes...?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thomas,
You need to buy a used registry from someone herein SAAC.
You have detective work to do, that will be time consuming.
Maybe somebody here will break it down for you, but it might be wise to buy a used one,
It contains so much info you need.

Richstang just jumped in , narrowed to 116 white cars, 116 4 speed cars Rich ?
Bossbill on the radiator, and mention again of the 4 speed numbers.
I and others will help, but you need to get an old registry.

See what cars in the Feb - April build times are blank, show re-body, wrecked repaired by clip or whatever.

Your new found names you gather out of the Registry, will need googling, web search and calls too.
Respectfully submitted,
John

Keep going Thomas,

I didn't limit the 116 white GT350s built from March - May to just as 4-speeds, they are all the cars.
Let me go back and omit the A/C cars, get the total number, and then omit the automatics.

This is just a possibility of it being a GT350 with no hard evidence other than a few bolt in parts, such as the K-code radiator, correct?

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bossbill

Thomas -- need a pic of the embossed area on the other side of the radiator cap.
It should have a W MO stamping and a date.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Harris Speedster

Richstang,
It can never be a 67 gt350.
No numbers, Shelby or ford vins on the body.

He might get lucky and find out what happened.
The trans has numbers rich, I imagine he has given them to Dave ?

Thomas, what parts did the person you had look at it >>> identify as possibly being Shelby?
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Thomas

Thomas

Here are some updated paint pics after I wiped some more black paint away. Its a tough job, so much rubbing.

I was able to find some remnants of the old lower stripes wrapped inside the door jam. (The door hinges were seized so it hadn't been opened in many years).
Also, if you look closely at the roof pics, you'll see the blue roof stripe showing thru after I wiped the black away.

Thomas

Question for the group;  Does anyone have an idea of why the factory rear tail panel would be cut completely across the entire length of the panel?  I looked closely at the panel and it appears to be cut in the same manner (common tooling cut marks) as the light holes. The metal is slightly bent inwards on the cut line. It very well may have been cut by whom ever modified the car due to the removal of the fuel tank (Relocated to the front), But with the cut lines matching almost exactly I had to ask the question.

JD

Thomas:
1. See the attached image you posted of the radiator, what does the tag that the red arrow is pointing to say?

2. The rear tail panel being cut (hacked) out was something Shelby workers did to install the Cougar tail lights.  Also the metal bracket on the drivers' side in the trunk was a Shelby part to hold the Cougar tail lights to the car, although the one on your car has had some additional cutting.

See attached of more typical.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Thomas

Quote from: JD on July 02, 2019, 11:21:55 PM
Thomas:
1. See the attached image you posted of the radiator, what does the tag that the red arrow is pointing to say?
  Read back a few posts. The numbers on the tab are shown in a picture.

2. The rear tail panel being cut (hacked) out was something Shelby workers did to install the Cougar tail lights.  Also the metal bracket on the drivers' side in the trunk was a Shelby part to hold the Cougar tail lights to the car, although the one on your car has had some additional cutting.

I know about the Shelby folks cutting the tail light holes and I know about the light buckets. Both of mine are cut the exact same way. My question is why did they cut out the gas cap mounting area?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Thomas on July 02, 2019, 09:55:01 PM
Question for the group;  Does anyone have an idea of why the factory rear tail panel would be cut completely across the entire length of the panel?  I looked closely at the panel and it appears to be cut in the same manner (common tooling cut marks) as the light holes. The metal is slightly bent inwards on the cut line. It very well may have been cut by whom ever modified the car due to the removal of the fuel tank (Relocated to the front), But with the cut lines matching almost exactly I had to ask the question.
SA would have no reason that I am aware of to cut out the tail panel metal across the gas filler neck opening. That metal which was removed held the gas filler neck and pop open gas cap in place on a regular production 67 Shelby.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bossbill

To recap, the radiator is a C7ZE T2 dated 12/66. Should be an extra cooling radiator.
New info shows an original overflow hose and also looks like it came from a manual transmission car.
The coolant pump is neat.

Doesn't prove anything, just interesting.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Harris Speedster

Thomas,
I would like to ask again;
Please provide a list of the Shelby parts that your guy said looked like Shelby parts.

Thomas

Quote from: Harris Speedster on July 03, 2019, 10:00:44 AM
Thomas,
I would like to ask again;
Please provide a list of the Shelby parts that your guy said looked like Shelby parts.

Have you been reading thru the entire post? If you have, everything that is listed thus far is what was found.

As far as what parts did the experts use to give me their opinion that the car was once a Shelby?

The early Rollbar, body date codes, tail light housings, rear wire harness, radiator, rear spring snubbers, functional rear brake ducting with original clamps, fittings and hose and probably a few more things that I'm missing. Along with that, the placement, methods of install, matching time correct details of each of the parts and the original patina of these parts added value to the authenticity.

I feel that the opinion of most here (including the two experts that I contacted),  Is that its obvious what the car used to be, but as has been stated more times than I care to repeat, the car will never be recognized as a true Shelby without the I.D. tags or VIN.

I posted the finding of this car to share it with the one group who could truly appreciate what the car is. I'm not a builder or a flipper, I'm not dreaming of getting a fake tag or ID. I'm here to learn from the people who have the greatest knowledge on the subject at hand. The negativity and constant posts of "It's never going to be a Shelby" are noted.

Regardless, I'm thankful for everyone's continued support and help in trying to narrow down the history and origin of the car.

Coralsnake

Im not tearing your car apart, just trying to see what others are seeing?

Body date codes are not an indication in my opinion. Surely other nonShelby cars were built with the same date stampings on body panels.

Bolt on parts like transmissions, fiberglass and radiators are not indicative of a Shelby.

I can acknowledge a few items like the vents and snubbers .... but lets evaluate this fairly.

Trying to pick a number out of the Registry is irresponsible at best. I am not directing that to the owner.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Coralsnake

Id like to see some better roll bar pictures. From what I have seen so far, if it is a factory roll bar it has been heavily modified

It might also be helpful if you name these "experts" because I would venture to say the people reading this thread are equally or more knowledgeable
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com