News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1968 GT350 Axle Spline count

Started by Corey Bowcutt, February 14, 2018, 06:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

Can anyone tell me if the standard axle for my February built 1968 GT350, 4 speed, non A/C car would be a 28 spline or a 32 spline?  I know the 3rd member ratio is suppose to be 3.89:1 but sometime over the past 50 years it was changed out to a 3.50:1 (correct for automatic trans. car).  Would this make a difference for the axle spline count?

Coralsnake

All 1968 Shelbys used 5e larger 31 spline axle.

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Coralsnake

A GT350 with a 4 spd and no AC would have been built with a 3.89:1 open rear axle.

Coralsnake

The axle ratio is determined by the ring gear , not the spline count of the axles

Corey Bowcutt

I know, I am just looking at a new rear that is 3.89:1 but the gentleman asked me if I had 28 or 31 spline axle. The rear he is selling has a 31 spline. So that sounds like it is correct.
What does open rear axle mean?

PR

Open= peg leg, look at your axel in the center of lug nuts there should be 3 small circles, that would be 31 spline.

Coralsnake

Open is the same as conventional; or not a locking (traction lok)

Corey Bowcutt

Thank you Pete and PR for your help.

Corey Bowcutt

Here are some pictures of what I am looking to buy.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on February 14, 2018, 07:58:59 PM
Here are some pictures of what I am looking to buy.
If it matters the case is not the N type webbed case .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Corey Bowcutt

I do not know what that means but if I am suppose to have a N type webbed case then this one would not be correct. Should a February 1968 car have an N type webbed case? Do you have any pictures?

Coralsnake

The car should have a N case, but the N is not present on early cases. The ribs are in the same places and it appears the same in every other way

Corey Bowcutt

This case has a January 68 date on it which seems OK for my February car so is it a correct case for me? I believe you are saying it is but I want to be as sure as I can before pulling the trigger.

Coralsnake

No. Look at the ribbing on the case. The case you posted does not look correct.

Coralsnake

Looks like this w/o the "N". Note the ribbing is different. It has two vertical ribs, not one. The no "N" case is about $1500-2000 if you can find one. It is a hard part to find.