News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

65 Rear Shelf in 67?

Started by tesgt350, June 22, 2019, 01:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tesgt350

Has anyone tried to fit a 65/66 Shelby Rear Seat Delete insert into a 67/68 Mustang?  Will it fit or will there be gaps on the sides?

SFM5S000

In past years I've seen the 66 rear shelf in a 67 GT350, maintaining the 67 trap door. The tire section and contour of the 65 shelf is completely different.

Cheers ~Earl J

shelbydoug

Quote from: tesgt350 on June 22, 2019, 01:15:53 PM
Has anyone tried to fit a 65/66 Shelby Rear Seat Delete insert into a 67/68 Mustang?  Will it fit or will there be gaps on the sides?

I had one in my '68. The tire indent needs to be fit to the rear panel whether it is a trap door or just the panel.

I have a fiberglass '66 "racing" panel in there now. For that the trap door is retained unmodified. It's a better fit and you don't need to mess with the spare tire.

I'd recommend that to you, the '66 panel.

Other then cutting the rear panel for the '65,  you just drop it in. I have a few screws to hold mine from rattling around. It's a good fit.

I can snap a couple of pics tomorrow if you want to see it. Too dark right now.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

tesgt350

Quote from: SFM5S000 on June 22, 2019, 05:07:25 PM
In past years I've seen the 66 rear shelf in a 67 GT350, maintaining the 67 trap door. The tire section and contour of the 65 shelf is completely different.

Cheers ~Earl J

Thanks

tesgt350

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 22, 2019, 08:26:18 PM
Quote from: tesgt350 on June 22, 2019, 01:15:53 PM

I had one in my '68. The tire indent needs to be fit to the rear panel whether it is a trap door or just the panel.

I have a fiberglass '66 "racing" panel in there now. For that the trap door is retained unmodified. It's a better fit and you don't need to mess with the spare tire.

I'd recommend that to you, the '66 panel.

Thanks
Other then cutting the rear panel for the '65,  you just drop it in. I have a few screws to hold mine from rattling around. It's a good fit.

I can snap a couple of pics tomorrow if you want to see it. Too dark right now.

67 GT350

I had a 67 years ago that I put one in, it fit perfectly. I used GE silicon it spots, in case I ever had to remove it or  wanted to. I never did!
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

Oh forgot...the profile of the 65 trap door/rear panel, is different then the 67/8. If you use the 65 panel you do have to fabricate fillers to mate the two together.

If you use the 66, you don't need to deal with that.

Also the size of the tire is pretty much limited to something like a 195 profile.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bigfoot

I've got a shelf in one of mine but no idea where it came from. But it looks bad azz.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

67 GT350

Opps, I meant I put a 66 rear shelf in my 67. no tire to worry about.
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

The original rear seat assembly weighs 85 pounds so that is one big serious way to reduce weight by eliminating the assembly.

Room wise, it's better then a Porsche back seat back there but not by much. I had someone back there in 1972, but they were pretty stressed out when they came out of there, plus the rear spring engineer in these cars apparently was some sort of slacker. Maybe it was so bad in the back seat they couldn't actually get living humans to test it?

If you glue it down, you loose the access to the secret storage compartment underneath.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Quote from: Bigfoot on June 22, 2019, 10:17:58 PM
I've got a shelf in one of mine but no idea where it came from. But it looks bad azz.

Pictures?

shelbydoug

Was just apart for paint. Still getting put back together.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM5S000

Very nice Doug.

The only down side to running the 66 shelf (if you really call this an issue) is access to the rear shocks. (How often does one do anyway?)

~E

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 23, 2019, 07:59:48 AM
The original rear seat assembly weighs 85 pounds so that is one big serious way to reduce weight by eliminating the assembly.

Room wise, it's better then a Porsche back seat back there but not by much. I had someone back there in 1972, but they were pretty stressed out when they came out of there, plus the rear spring engineer in these cars apparently was some sort of slacker. Maybe it was so bad in the back seat they couldn't actually get living humans to test it?

If you glue it down, you loose the access to the secret storage compartment underneath.
.   Well back in the day we used to go cruising with two of my high jump teammates in the back seat,one was 6'3", the other was 6'5",so it's "functional ".Of course "comfortable "is a completely different concept.... 8)