News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Help with book and articles on authenticity and correctness?

Started by wjhpc, July 01, 2019, 07:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjhpc

Shelby Folks:

I am beginning my search to purchase a 1966 GT350 and wish to educate myself about what, exactly, to look for and verify. While i will likely enlist the help of someone far more knowledgeably than I, I still wish to arm myself with knowledge. I don't wish to completely rely on an expert in that process of evaluating a particular car.

Can anyone point me to any articles or books (checklist?) to help me evaluate authenticity and correctness, which presumably directly affects value?

I have ordered the 1966 Registry (2019).

Thanks for any help.

Jim

J_Speegle

Hopefully IMHO you will not find a book with all the in's and outs of how to verify a real Shelby. If you do them those with bad intentions will have already read the book, made the changes to their fakes and then you will be right back where you began.... only in a worst spot along with all of us.

Suggest that you try and get a copy of one of the judging rules for 66 asa a place to start. That will provide about 3% of the info you may use. Then start reading every post you can in the 66 section and the related threads in the Concours section.  Be careful of what you will read on the internet pleny of old and sometimes incorrect info out there.  Of course most of this info will relate to mostly bolt on parts that can be removed, changed or added to a car - right or wrongly.

Yes get some help. Use the regular channels (in your case Howard) - they are there for you and have successfully protected and helped allot of potential owners - if you'll listen to them and others you choose to use in the process. Of course at the end of the day it will be you making the final choice. Be prepared and again not afraid to reach out and get help. Don't believe there is any quick course for the things that face you so good luck  and happy hunting.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Don Johnston

Go to SAAC 44.  See the cars, talk to the members, enjoy the sights and sounds. 8)

Do Not use the old Shelby buyers club,put out by our club back in the day...It was the best information at the time,but,"knowledge has evolved"....For sure get an expert examination as almost anything can be faked and you don't want to make a big,and expensive mistake.They are GREAT cars,Good Luck in your search!!! Trent

SFM6S087

Jim, welcome to the forum and I hope we'll be welcoming you to Shelby ownership soon. As others have mentioned, there's no single source for the info you want.

Back in 1978-79 I did the research myself and bought a 1966 GT350 based on my own analysis of the car. I lucked out and it did turn out to be a real Shelby. I would never do that again – especially not these days. There are too many believable fakes out there. Well, believable to non-experts – a category that even many serious enthusiasts fall into.

I'm not trying to discourage you from doing your own homework on this. I hope you'll read and dig and learn as much as you can before you buy your car. If you really love these cars, that kind of research will be a boat load of fun. And when you do find a car and have an expert look it over, you'll have a better chance of understanding the things he points out.

And be aware that there's no such thing as a perfect car. They all have some flaws or weak points. So start thinking about what's important to you based on what you want to do with the car. Trailered concours? Local shows & short drives? Long distance driving tours? Serious track laps? What's required vs. what would be nice to have will change based on your planned usage.

Start making contacts. Get active here on the forum. Get out to both local and national auto shows. Start looking at other cars and meeting their owners. Some Shelbys change hands without ever being advertised. Two people start talking. One is looking for a car and the other knows an owner considering selling. Next thing you know a deal is made. But even if that doesn't happen for you, you'll have a good time.

And if you're like most of us, the thrill of ownership will eventually be surpassed by the fun of the people you get to know through your association with these special cars.

Finally, as your reward for reading this far into my novel length reply, I do have a book to recommend – "Shelby Mustang GT350" by Chuck Cantwell with Greg Kolasa. Lots of great stuff in there. Every GT350 owner and enthusiast should have a copy.

Good luck in your search!

Steve

gt350hr

Save yourself time and grief , hire an expert and learn from THAT expert. Then get a second opinion. There are some wonderful cars out there and there are some "original " junkers too. Original floor pan cars are getting very rare.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

JD

...also the SEARCH function at the top Right of this website can be a big help. 

Search in the '66 overview page can help reduce topics in other years of cars.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

gt350hr

'66s IMHO are one of the toughest years because of the long list of evolutionary changes like one being talked about now , the switch from 15" wheels back to 14". '66 was certainly a year of economic changes as volume went up and time didn't.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.