Author Topic: Car runs when key is turned off.  (Read 5962 times)

Rocket

• View Profile
Car runs when key is turned off.
« on: June 28, 2019, 04:35:00 PM »
Has anyone ever had the motor continue to run when you turn the key off. I'm guessing it is the ignition switch. It's the original one that came on the car. Thanks for your input. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
Re: Car runs when key is turned off.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 04:39:16 PM »
Thank happened to my 69 GT350 convertible.  It was the ignition switch in my case, and my starter solenoid kept the starter engaged after the engine started.  Very bad day. 

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 05:17:30 PM »
I had that with a later model car as well... yep - it was the ignition switch.

Fortunately the car was a 4-speed and I could stall it to shut down  ???
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

hertzdonut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 06:53:38 PM »
Rocket also has a 4 speed. The article on your car and the two of you was great.
Terry

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 07:09:07 PM »
Ignition mechanismnot allowing key to fully return to "on" position after being turned to the "Start" position. Keeps starter energized and spinning with flywheel/flexplate. New ignition assembly should help.
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 11:10:54 PM »
Happened to my 66 several years ago, it was the solenoid.
Dave - 6S1757

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 11:14:53 PM »
When owner turns key from "on" to "Start", does it snap back to "on" or do you almost have to physically move key back to "on"? Could be key mechanism sticking. Hear these cars have had challenges in this area, after 50 plus years.... But then so do I...
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 08:21:52 AM »
Could be the solenoid....bang it with a wrench if it happens or just pop the clutch quickly if you need to.

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 11:41:44 AM »
 IMHO I would say it’s very likely your solenoid. As I recall, the solenoid is designed to energize the coil while the starter motor is engaged and turning, when the ignition switch is released from the start or crank position the power to the coil then switches back and comes from the ignition switch not the solenoid.
An internal problem in the solenoid can cause the coil to stay energized even after the ignition switch is turned to the off position, which of course would keep the ignition energized and the engine running when it is supposed to be off.
 Hope this helps!
Thanks, Karl
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 11:48:47 AM by Karguy »
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 01:21:01 PM »
I have the key and cylinder out. I have pushed the switch toward the dash, and turned it the 1/8 turn counter clockwise, like the manual says. Next the manual says to remove the bezel ,switch and spacer. How do I get the bezel off. Looking at it,, I'm wondering if it screws off of the switch. Thanks in advance for the help. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 01:37:52 PM »
Rocket
Yes the bezel screws on/off the switch.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 04:10:34 PM »
I've got it all back together, except for hooking the speedometer cable back up to the speedometer. I took the instrument cluster out to get the ignition switch. I was able to get my hand in to unhook the cable, by unhooking wires on the temp. gage, and taking out some of the lights. I know that I used to unhook the speedometer, and hook it back up by putting my  hand and arm in from the left side of the steering column. but can't seem to find any place to work my hand up there now. Maybe my hand is bigger than it was when I was younger. Any tips on how to get the cable hooked back up to the speedometer. Thanks in advance for your help. Ron

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 04:15:00 PM »
Maybe to late now, but there is usually enough cable that you can pull out far enough to hook the cable on before you put the instrument cluster back in the dash.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 04:44:01 PM »
I tried to pull the cable out and didn't have any luck. I may have to get under the car and see if there are any clips around the transmission tunnel. Ron

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2019, 06:08:34 PM »
if you drop the emergency brake handle (two big Phillip Screws hold it to the dash) then you can "wiggle" you hand up though the opening and get the cable back on
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎