News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

eBay Shenanigans - 66 GT350 VIN Plate

Started by 66TotalPerf, June 28, 2019, 08:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66TotalPerf

Browsing eBay and this ridiculousness showed up. Appears this scammer is trying to sell an original '66 GT350 VIN plate, with matching Canadian title or registration, and the supposedly numbers-matching engine is available too. Seller says the engine available is "believed" to be from the same '66 GT350, so I'm assuming a verification of Ford engine VIN and SFM VIN hasn't been done with Howard.

Haven't contacted the seller but it'd be interesting to find out the SFM number and notify the current owner.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT350-Fender-Plate-Serial-Number/264378103676
-Brent
'66 GT350 Tribute, '66 F100 4x4

GT350Lad

Looked at the ad on eBay, engine casting date on block is a 7A20, might be aimed at the more gullible of buyers
6S373
6S1276

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Brent on June 28, 2019, 08:23:20 PM
Browsing eBay and this ridiculousness showed up. Appears this scammer is trying to sell an original '66 GT350 VIN plate, with matching Canadian title or registration, and the supposedly numbers-matching engine is available too. Seller says the engine available is "believed" to be from the same '66 GT350, so I'm assuming a verification of Ford engine VIN and SFM VIN hasn't been done with Howard.

Haven't contacted the seller but it'd be interesting to find out the SFM number and notify the current owner.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT350-Fender-Plate-Serial-Number/264378103676
Jim C. said he reported it in another thread.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

still up and running 4 days 11 hours to go
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

cob4ra

Glancing through the California DMV ;only an original owner can legally use his vin plates on a donor body if the original is totaled; otherwise it's big fine and possibly jail time !!
1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz 1680 ( previously 6s1842;6s1818)                                                  2000 Saleen S281 Speedster.                              Previously two sunbeam tigers and have owned 24 mustangs ; 4 Mercury Cyclones and one 1960 Fiat 600!

Rickmustang

I had to send a message and ask why shipping was so much!
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Quote from: cob4ra on June 29, 2019, 10:34:45 AM
Glancing through the California DMV ;only an original owner can legally use his vin plates on a donor body if the original is totaled; otherwise it's big fine and possibly jail time !!
.  You sure about that???

J_Speegle

Quote from: cob4ra on June 29, 2019, 10:34:45 AM

Think you'll find a different interpretation by the state. Seen many examples were the car is just revined with a new serial number issued by the state.

Going through this currently with a newer car were just the door tag was destroyed during the accident/repair.  So new VIN for that car  and that car isn't a rebody. Have friends with Dynacor (s?) bodies that took them out of state because getting those vinned was too much of an issue
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

cob4ra

My Shelby is registered by the Shelby vin plates info; so in that case it's a " vin plate " ; as a past licensed vin inspector in California for five years I found the code about original owners only legally able to use their vin plate on a donor body! I don't have my book anymore and it could have changed; it was a state law so other states can differ; the Boss 302 site has some more info on variations of vin plates; I know it's best for anyone to check with your local state laws before you buy a vin plate with building intent!
1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz 1680 ( previously 6s1842;6s1818)                                                  2000 Saleen S281 Speedster.                              Previously two sunbeam tigers and have owned 24 mustangs ; 4 Mercury Cyclones and one 1960 Fiat 600!

cob4ra

A California dmv code but not as explicit as I had read also an article on mustangs and fords

J_Speegle

Quote from: cob4ra on June 29, 2019, 02:12:57 PM
A California dmv code but not as explicit as I had read also an article on mustangs and fords

Think you will find many opinions.  Have worked personally with CHP and local agency task forces and individuals over the past 30 years on and off here in Calif.

Only can be certain of what happened to rebodies we discovered and the agencies dealt with.

"Placing in the ordinary course of business numbers or marks upon new motor vehicles .." in my experience and discussions with the state does not mean taking VIN from one vehicle and placing them on another car.  The article states "new motor vehicle" which a donor body is not and there is already regulations covering the Dynacorn bodies. But of course this appears not to be a direct quote from the regulations.

Of course at this point int he thread normally the rabbit hole expands to how much can be replace or repaired or what happens if the body is replaced panel by panel.  Not going to go down that long long path ;)

All this does not relate to documented vin variations at a particular plant for a specific time years later. And those have resulted in impounded vehicles and other problems before most got worked out.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

We have had a couple mustang shops in Cali.(not to mention Texas,ahem)who played vin games with mustangs in the past and things didn't go well for them...

zray

Ebay rules prohibit selling a VIN plate without a complete car or shell attached to it.  Anyone bring this eBay's attention yet ?

Z

GT350Lad

Quote from: zray on June 30, 2019, 12:21:49 AM
Ebay rules prohibit selling a VIN plate without a complete car or shell attached to it.  Anyone bring this eBay's attention yet ?

Z

I think Jim C did
6S373
6S1276