News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 early taillight trim ring finish

Started by BGlover67, February 01, 2020, 03:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

I know this has been discussed before, but can I ask what is the final word on the correct finish for rear tailight trim on the early 1967 (no screws exposed) rings?  If the answer is a satin finish, then how do we explain an NOS set with high gloss finish?  (I know they are the later type, but still)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

JD

Shiny, smooth, not satin, not brushed, not chromed.

(might want to clear coat to keep from oxidizing)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BGlover67 on February 01, 2020, 03:48:04 PM
I know this has been discussed before, but can I ask what is the final word on the correct finish for rear tailight trim on the early 1967 (no screws exposed) rings?  If the answer is a satin finish, then how do we explain an NOS set with high gloss finish?  (I know they are the later type, but still)
First off FYI there are numerous examples of NOS service replacement parts both Mustang and Shelby that are different then their assemblyline counter part. Many times parts changed or evolved over time as service parts . There are many reasons why they changed. Sometimes parts changed to make it better, fit more applications, survive better on the self in storage , or change in supply to name a few. With all that said mirror shiny is not like assemblyline. JD said "Shiny, smooth, not satin, not brushed, not chromed" I agree with that. I am not in favor of clear coating them however. If they start to dull done you can freshen them up on the car (best to tape around the edges of the rings ) by hand polishing . The clear coat may start to flack off or oxidize under the clear coat in which case your only alternative is to take them off .They are a real pain to take off and sometimes will cause the threaded studs to snap . Another issue is that the clear coat finish can change and compromise the expected look of the rings. Just my views on the subject.

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative