News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

B9 sold at BJ

Started by sfm5, June 30, 2019, 01:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfm5

'69 Boss 429 KK#1393 hammered at $115K ($126K inc buyer's premium) yesterday at BJ. I remember a good discussion on another thread about '65 GT350s that have been modified/race-prepped and the affect on their values. Is it cost effective for this B9 to be returned to stock condition...or would you keep it as is?

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-FORD-MUSTANG-BOSS-429-232170

Lot #689 - This Royal Maroon Boss 429 is from the first year of Boss 429 production in 1969. It is powered by a Boss 429ci V8 engine, built and balanced by Ross Racing and Restoration. The detailed build of this engine includes an Eagle 521 stroker crank, Eagle H-beam rods, custom JE pistons with Mahle rings, COMP Cams 586 lift hydraulic cam and lifters, Blue Thunder dual-quad aluminum intake, dual 750 cfm carburetors, Mallory distributor with Hi-Fire system, 7-quart rear sump oil pan, high-volume oil pump and water pump, Northern aluminum crossflow radiator and March reduction pulleys with serpentine belt. The engine is backed by a big input shaft close-ratio Toploader 4-speed manual transmission turning a 9" Ford housing with nodular case and a 3.91" Traction-Lok differential. It also features a hood scoop larger than any on a Ford production car up to that time. These cars were specially modified by Kar Kraft in Brighton, MI, to accept the massive Boss 429 engine, however the original Boss 429-specific shock towers and original VIN-stamped front aprons have been removed along with several other Boss 429 items. These items were removed in order to install some upgraded hardware indicative of the serious performance intentions of this car. On top of the Boss 9 engine are twin Weber carburetors, and a Mallory distributor helps keep it in tune. It also has full race RJS safety harnesses complete with SFI tags. The Haneline gauges are in their correct locations. Weld-in subframe connectors and a 4-point roll bar keep things stable when the power is applied, and the suspension has been strengthened with a Panhard bar and Traction Master traction bars. It features front disc brakes for stopping power, a Rod & Customs front suspension and rack & pinion steering. Documented with a Marti Report and two shipping invoices. From The David Maxwell Collection.
65 GT350

Grumpy

Quote from: sfm5 on June 30, 2019, 01:52:40 PM
'69 Boss 429 KK#1393 hammered at $115K ($126K inc buyer's premium) yesterday at BJ. I remember a good discussion on another thread about '65 GT350s that have been modified/race-prepped and the affect on their values. Is it cost effective for this B9 to be returned to stock condition...or would you keep it as is?

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-FORD-MUSTANG-BOSS-429-232170

however the original Boss 429-specific shock towers and original VIN-stamped front aprons have been removed along with several other Boss 429 items. These items were removed in order to install some upgraded hardware indicative of the serious performance intentions of this car.

Would this be the reason for the give away price ?  :o

68countrysedan

I would at least change the steering wheel. (File under comment; snark)

Coralsnake

I dont think you can ever point to a single item to determine the price of a car, especially an auction car. Im sure the lack of numbers contributed greatly after speaking to those present
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

If the vins are gone you can't title it right??

68stangcjfb

No Boss 429 shock towers? No Boss 429! To me, that's about 85% of its identity. Except for the towers and the staggered shock plate, everything else bolts on.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Maybe "fairly"priced as a radical replica?Dependent on workmanship..

Greg

I think that was a fair price considering it does not have the vin stamped aprons or shock towers.  Nice car and I would say the owner is very happy with it.  A B9 is a nice car to own in any condition as the engine is worth $30-40K alone.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

My point exactly,unless you had a PERFECT donor car ,you would be hard pressed to build it for that...Someone got a cool ride regardless..

cob4ra

On all unibody cars the front aprons are part of the frame; manufactures have to go through crash testing and how they crash and crumple is a safety regulation! When I was a buyer at our Ford store I had to be careful of prior repaired unibody cars; we needed a disclosure of it if we ever were to resale one or in another collision if one got hurt you would be responsible and surely loose a law suit ! Even though this b69 was older in building safety it would make a definite caution and it's value should reflect that !
1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz 1680 ( previously 6s1842;6s1818)                                                  2000 Saleen S281 Speedster.                              Previously two sunbeam tigers and have owned 24 mustangs ; 4 Mercury Cyclones and one 1960 Fiat 600!

I agree with 68stangcjfb.

Shaved shock towers? It's a clone/restomod.

Bigfoot

To me it's a neat piece but certainly not for purists .
Imagine what a perfect car would bring in the right venue .......
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Richstang

I'm not Boss 429 expert, but the unpainted hood scoop (for a '69), the rear window louvers, and the rear wing would be the obvious signs something was off.
Love the color, and the car is very nice, but now for anything near B9 money.

I'd think the seller did very well.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Shelby_r_b

I thought this Boss looked familiar. I originally saw this car no sale at Mecum Houston in 2018 for $220K; which seemed extremely high (I don't believe it was real money). However, I just did some research, and Houston wasn't the first time it went to auction. Please see below with the corresponding results:

Mecum Auctions
Las Vegas 2017 - SOLD for $200K
Kissimmee 2018 - High Bid of $210K
Houston 2018 - High Bid of $220K
Indy 2018 - High Bid of $170K
Monterey 2018 - High Bid of $150K
Chicago 2018 - High Bid of $150K
Kissimmee 2019 - first run (The first Friday) High Bid of $150K
Kissimmee 2019 - second run (Sunday) SOLD for $165K (all in with fees)
The BJ results from this weekend.

Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

Yes recall seeing it at number of auctions. Fair amount of money spent running it through all of those and getting the car to and from locations and storage but that was someones choice at the time
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge