Author Topic: Fond memories of car #130  (Read 5985 times)

1968GT350

• 604 300 2802
    • View Profile
Fond memories of car #130
« on: February 16, 2018, 04:56:27 PM »
Not my car but this particular 1966 Shelby used to roar by me as I walked to grade one in the 60's. Obviously it was love at first site for me as a 6 year old and I hunted for that thing high and low around town. I eventually found it a few weeks later and I would ride my (Mustang) bike over to visit the car every Saturday. This was 1967 I believe, I was 6 years old. Fast forward to 2012 and I am driving around town in a 1966 Antique Bronze K code fastback that I had just restored. I get waved down by someone on the street. Turns out he remembers my K code from the local drag strip in 1967. I recognize the guys last name, his brother owned the local Ford dealership in my town back in the 60's and 70's. I asked him if they still had that GT350. He replied (rather shocked) that they did and the next day I was visiting the car that got me hooked on Shelby's in the 1st place, car number 130. When I met Dennis the owner, I told him that I was that kid that used to hang out at the end of his driveway. He replied "you were that kid...I always wondered who that was! " Dennis died not long after these pictures were taken but I was glad to meet him and let him know that it was his car that started my love of this automobile. These pictures are from that day...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:21:32 PM by 1968GT350 »

SHELB66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Found memories of car #130
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 05:04:15 PM »
Great story and very nice pictures!  I would classify the first one as a "model with a Shelby" picture candidate.  Thanks for sharing.

Craig R
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

1968GT350

• 604 300 2802
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:19:27 PM »
SHELB66 my wife says thank you! And thank you from me for the other kind words. If the current owner of this car would like to get a hold of my I would be happy to share more pics and info about the car. In the meantime, here's Dennis in the car, my wife who cleans up nicely I must say at a car show with the K code and the K code at the drag strip in 1967. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:06:23 PM by 1968GT350 »

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fond memories of car #130
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 01:59:10 AM »
I know the current owner of 6S130. I'll point him in your direction.

Steve

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 10:17:27 AM »
Great story and very nice pictures!  I would classify the first one as a "model with a Shelby" picture candidateThanks for sharing.

Craig R

+1, +1, and  +1
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

SFM6S130

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »
I am the current owner of the now fully restored 6S130.  I will try to establish contact through private messaging.

Tinface

• Only an intellectual could say something so stupid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 03:50:42 AM »
Hi,

Such a beautiful car.

I happen to own #2184 which is an original car: paint, interior, numbers matching. I have a couple pair of Shelby mags—the original mags and a another order pair I purchased hashed so I don’t scratch the original to the car mags. Both have the correct Tires.

I was wondering, and your the perfect person to ask,  if you have any issues with the 15” Craiger mags rubbing anywhere on the body or front end when you turn?

What brand and size tires are you using—if you don’t mind?

I really app your help. The cars look great with the Shelby/or Craiger mags. I really like the Craiger though personally. Your car is fantastic.

Thank you,

Tinface

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 06:34:52 AM »
First, your #2184 looks great! Congratulations on owning such a beautiful car.

While you’re waiting for the owner of 6S130 to reply, I’ll chime in on your question. I have a similar car – 6S087. It has the factory lowered front and Firestone Precision Sport 215/65R15 blackwalls on original 15” Shelby/Cragars. The only time I’ve experienced tire rubbing is in the front when going over an obstruction with the steering wheel in a full lock turn. Like turning into my driveway that angles upward from the road. A full lock turn into my driveway at normal speed will certainly cause tire rubbing in the front. If I go very slow and ease up on the angle of the turn then no rubbing. Beyond that – no problems in the 3,000 or so miles I’ve put on the car since restoration.

Just my experience.

Steve

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 07:47:05 AM »
SHELB66 my wife says thank you! And thank you from me for the other kind words. If the current owner of this car would like to get a hold of my I would be happy to share more pics and info about the car. In the meantime, here's Dennis in the car, my wife who cleans up nicely I must say at a car show with the K code and the K code at the drag strip in 1967.

That Photo with your Wife, I have seen several "K" Code Mustangs that have those same round Shelby Emblems in the same location on the Front Fenders.  Are those Dealer Installed or Owner Installed?  If Dealer Installed, was it just a few Dealers that did that or would all of them offer them?  So far, all the Mustangs that I have seen with them were fastbacks.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 09:53:08 AM »
Hi,

Such a beautiful car.

I happen to own #2184 which is an original car: paint, interior, numbers matching. I have a couple pair of Shelby mags—the original mags and a another order pair I purchased hashed so I don’t scratch the original to the car mags. Both have the correct Tires.

I was wondering, and your the perfect person to ask,  if you have any issues with the 15” Craiger mags rubbing anywhere on the body or front end when you turn?

What brand and size tires are you using—if you don’t mind?

I really app your help. The cars look great with the Shelby/or Craiger mags. I really like the Craiger though personally. Your car is fantastic.

Thank you,

Tinface

I recognize the backdrop of that car.  :D

Congrats on your purchase!
Nothing beats a classic!

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 10:19:57 AM »

That Photo with your Wife, I have seen several "K" Code Mustangs that have those same round Shelby Emblems in the same location on the Front Fenders.  Are those Dealer Installed or Owner Installed?  If Dealer Installed, was it just a few Dealers that did that or would all of them offer them?  So far, all the Mustangs that I have seen with them were fastbacks.
.   Cobra kit,dealers sold em....

SFM6S130

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 12:19:10 PM »
Tinface,

Thank you for your kind words.

For shows, I have reproduction 7.5X15 Goodyear Blue Dots on the original mag wheels.  For running around, I have reproductions of the original mag wheels with Yokohama 215 60 VR 15s in the front and 235 60 VR 15s in the rear.  The setup and alignment are to original specifications with no rubbing problems.

I agree with you that the original Shelby/ Cragar mags look really great on the GT350.

Tinface

• Only an intellectual could say something so stupid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 02:59:52 AM »
Hi,

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out. I really appreciate it.

Tinface