Author Topic: 65-66 and 67 Mustang front spindles  (Read 1583 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
65-66 and 67 Mustang front spindles
« on: August 09, 2019, 03:19:42 PM »
Hi all,

I am working on a 66 San Jose Mustang K-code, front disc brakes.  I went to replace the rotors, same early style.  The drive side went on find.  No issue with installing the cotter pin.  However, on the passenger side, I was unable to install the cotter pin.  The outboard side of the rotor stuck out further and the nut and keeper were too proud to get the pin in.  The two rotors are identical.  I am starting to wonder if the passengers side spindle was replaced with a 67 version, not allowing the installation of the rotor.  Are there difference in the 66 and 67 spindles?  The bearing were the same part number on both sides.  The only variable I can't verify is spindles.  Is there something I can measure to tell a 66 from a 67?  If you have picture showing the differences, that would be great.

Also, are the V8 spindles for drum and disc brake the same spindle with in each year?  I see spindles advertised as drum, but IIRC, they are also the same  for disc brakes.

Thank you

Cory
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:22:49 PM by 6s1640 »

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 65-66 and 67 Mustang front spindles
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 03:42:56 PM »
Cory
One thing to check first on your replacement rotor that I have run across before is that the bearing cup(s) did not get fully pressed and seated into the rotor.
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 04:55:49 PM »
Cory
One thing to check first on your replacement rotor that I have run across before is that the bearing cup(s) did not get fully pressed and seated into the rotor.
Rodney

Hi Rodney,    That could explain.

Thank you for the input.

Cory

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 06:09:45 PM »
All the same spindles . +1 on Rodney's good suggestion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 07:00:18 PM »
Hi all,

The two rotors are identical.

If you haven't, swap the rotors left to right - right to left, did the problem follow the rotor, or not; just a thought?     ???

Scott.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 02:00:21 PM »
Not only checking the bearing race is seated, but you could have a mismachined rotor like I did where the pocket for the race wasn't deep enough. Another possibility is if you purchased new bearings is that the bearings are incorrect.
                                                                                                          -Keith
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:03:21 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 02:27:01 PM »
Hi Scott,

I was swapping out the old rotors with nice OEM K/H rotors.  The driver side went on fine, but the passenger side the cotter key could not be installed.  I ended up putting back the rotor that was on the car, fortunately still good, but a later style.  I will still have to figure out why the early OEM rotor would not work.  I have not check the bearing seat.  Both rotors had the same bearing part numbers.  The prime objective was get the brakes working and I have achieved that.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Cory