Author Topic: Stock radiator may not be enough  (Read 4261 times)

Stock radiator may not be enough
« on: August 18, 2019, 01:53:42 AM »
I am getting ready to put a slightly modified 351w  into my 69 GT350. Its 30 over and has a CR of about 11.5-12:1 ish .The car has A/C & I live in PalmSprings heat .  The builder  of my engine said, It might be better for me to get another radiator that had a "better" cooling capability than the original radiator that is in it. I think the original is a 24x15x2? . Can anyone with experience,etc give me an idea the size radiator I might want to get? 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:19:39 AM by 69gt350conv4spd »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Stock radiator may not be enough for my new engine
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 02:13:09 AM »
I am getting ready to put a slightly modified 351w  into my 69 GT350. Its 30 over and has  about 11.5-12ish and w/ valves for UL gas. With thais Im thinkin It would be safer for me to get another radiator that had a "better" cooling capability than the original radiator that is in it. I think the original is a 24x15x2? . Can anyone with experience,etc give me an idea the size radiator I might want to get?
24 inch is the widest you can fit. The 24 inch is what came in the A/C equipped cars . You can have your original 24 inch radiator recored with a three or four core . If you are buying after market get a 4 core is for maximum cooling . It is better to have too much capacity then not enough in a situation like this. It is typically less money to buy after market then to have your original recored. The typical after market 24 inch radiator has a Ford style upper and lower tank but will not have the FOMOCO trademark made into it. That may not be a issue to most but thought I would mention the difference so that you can make a informed decision.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Re: Stock radiator may not be enough
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 02:27:07 AM »
Hello Bob,
Ok, Id like to get a 4 core then asap,as my engine hasbeen assembled and is taking up space for the builder while he waits for me. 
what are a couple suppliers that the shelby owners have been satisfied with?
How about a clutch fan? Might have a bit of advantage ?,Ive got to go as my typing in the dark is keeping her awake she says,so you know . Ill ckbackin the morning
John

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 02:48:42 AM »
Hello Bob,
Ok, Id like to get a 4 core then asap,as my engine hasbeen assembled and is taking up space for the builder while he waits for me. 
what are a couple suppliers that the shelby owners have been satisfied with?
How about a clutch fan? Might have a bit of advantage ?,Ive got to go as my typing in the dark is keeping her awake she says,so you know . Ill ckbackin the morning
John
I would order it from NPD. I would use a fixed flex fan the same as the A/C equipped GT350 did.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 01:07:56 PM »
NPD? Not familiar with socal and have been out of the hobby since early 80s,

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 01:18:29 PM »
I'll throw this idea out there as an option, try Champion Radiator in Lake Elsinore Ca. They make custom aluminum radiators to your specifications and are priced reasonably. Otherwise go with Bob's suggestion on the radiator.

https://www.championcooling.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6sryuPWM5AIVCb3sCh3vtA02EAMYAiAAEgJBufD_BwE
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 01:20:42 PM by CSX 4133 »

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 03:25:44 PM »
NPD? Not familiar with socal and have been out of the hobby since early 80s,

If you are in socal, NPD is located in Ventura, CA.  They also have stores in Ocala, Florida, Charlotte, North Carolina, and Canton, Michigan.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 07:29:36 PM »
My 2 row Economof works just fine.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 12:40:23 AM »
My 2 row Economof works just fine.

And mine might do fine with the original radiator too,but I mentioned at the start of this thread ,that the builder of my engine thought i should do it ,as a precaution, and that I have hot summers here in PalmSprings . Its cheap insurance.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:44:06 AM by 69gt350conv4spd »