News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

70 Million Dollar Porsche Auction Mistake

Started by SFM6S087, August 20, 2019, 06:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

Hmmm, sheenanigans at an auction? Im shocked
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Kent

Yes I like to do some research and car history is always nice. There is also the debate about who build the first car. If you read more about this its crazy, there was a village very close to my place where they say the guy there built the first car but it never went to the public/ media because he lived in in the middle of nowhere.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Harris Speedster

Kent,
Do they date the carriage car to around 1878 ?
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Kent

1898 thats the year when Ferdinand built the Lohner electric car. On 26 June 1898 the first test drive happenend in vienna and in 1899 they showed it to the public in berlin.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Harris Speedster

Wasn't Benz Prior to that?
I will have to hit the guys up at autopuzzles, that is truly the largest and most complete archival site in the world.
I am truly not sure, but could have sworn a mobilized carriage came about in 1878.

Who was the builder of the one by your village in 1898? in 1898,
Steam, gas or ?
If I am not mistaken, electric/battery car came about at the turn of the century. 1898 would be too early for electric, maybe ?

A past board member at SAAC brokered an electric/battery powered one a number of years ago.
Baker model, if my pea brain recalls correctly?

I love the history of automobiles.
John
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Kent

I thought we are talking about porsche and the electric car.

The first car ever built is maybe the Fardier from 1769 and the replica of it is in a museum in florida if I´m not wrong

And the first electric vehicle was the Trouve Tricycle from 1881

The guy in the village close to me, Siegfried Marcus invented a car some years before Benz but he never showed it really to the public or something but there is enough in the local history books here about it. Then he moved to vienna and did the Marcus Mobil the first car with a gasoline engine and this car is the oldest car that is still running.

Harris Speedster

We were talking Electric cars and Porsche.
A Fardier from 1769, can you provide me a link for my own knowledge, and to pass it on to Autopuzzles
if it is not in their files?

Florida Museum, might it be the Revs Institute?
Collier,was a very early race driver at Watkins Glen NY,
Collier county Florida, one in the same.

Cars, not tricycles.
Can you source me a picture of the Marcus mobile.
Please use;
motorcarinvestments@gmail.com
Thanks Kent
respectfully,
John

Kent

Kent

Harris Speedster

Thank you Kent.
Going to check with autopuzzles to see if it is in their libraries.

I thought the one from the 1700's might be steam.
Always enjoy automotive history.

If you want to see, what I believe is the most advanced steam engine ever built, Jay Leno owns it.
Think it is called the Dolbeare car.
It amazes me of why it has not been brought back up for usage.
It will runs 60 mph, literally for hours. Accelerates quickly too !!!

Amazing things in history.
I think magnetic's is where the future propulsion / motor drive will be in automobiles !!
Perhaps we can add the sound of a 427 at song to get the Adrenalin going>> ha

Side note, electric motors are coming on, glad Ford put 1/2 billion into the Rivian company, I think some tech from it will be in the E-F 150?
BTW, from what I have gathered, it kicks the Tesla's A--. !!!!!!!
Ford Performance at all levels
John

Kent

We have to wait what is coming, I think synthetic fuel will win the battle in connection with electric engines. So we will burn synthetic fuel to produce hp and torque for the car and electricity for the 2nd electric engine. That will be the future.

That makes more sense to go long distance, and wen need to burn fuel because all the gas stations, chemical industry, car industry and repair shops need work. So at the end fuel will never die, only in the big citys where its possible to go e-only.

Harris Speedster

Kent,
I agree for 99% of what you wrote.
Most people do not realize that you can NOT cut off a countries lively hood. They just don't get it !!!!!!!!!
Meaning, for the most part, oil rich countries have no other means of supporting themselves. What if crude went to 5.00 a barrel, famine and wars.
Yes, it will always be here.

Just as you said about the repair companies, factories etc, you need them for ones own security and jobs, 100%.

But electric motors will be a part of it.
People scaring other people, NEED to realize that for the most part, coal supports electric grids, as well as dams, wind mills, nuclear etc.
We all witnessed what closing steel mills, mines etc did, not good for jobs, drug epidemics, future's lost, suicides etc

Sad in a way, better of two evils ?!
I do agree in part about pollution, but at the same time people need jobs,
If you truly go find true stats, the US  pollutes the least out of all countries on this ENTIRE planet.

The batteries of today being used for automobile motors, and the chemicals in solar panels, from scientific reports, are both HORRIBLY filled with major contaminants, why isn't that talked about? Better of two evils again ?

BTW, we need to realize if we did get into a war, we would be at the mercy of other countries, no steel, no gas, no oil etc.
Good luck with that !!!!!!!!! Glad China has finally been blocked from buying chunks of the US.

Let alone if we keep going green, which we will in part>> where are we going to buy our steel, aluminum etc from, CHINA>> Oh Boy !!

How is it over in your country, what is truly happening ?
Hope the mods don't shut us down !!!!!!

Do people realize that our mother earth has went through about 6 cycles of devastation for billions of years, but yet we have almost destroyed it in 100 years ? 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
BTW, I am going to check, but I believe Ferdinand Porsche helped with auto union, Horch, Audi and one other company, as they were all failing>> TO form Audi, the four rings represent that !!!!

Respectfully submitted.
John

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Harris Speedster

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on August 31, 2019, 01:17:20 PM
Quote from: Kent on August 24, 2019, 05:04:16 AM
Some other funny facts
And the first car Ferdinand Porsche built was electric
Studebaker too. In 1902 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker_Electric

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
That is a very interesting read.
There were apparently several companies producing a carriage type car with electric motors and many batteries,
History is repeating itself, about 100 + years later.

I never knew that Ferdinand messed with electric motor cars.
He was really involved at all levels, and without doubt very brilliant with his designs..

Studebaker was actually quite an advanced car company. In part, especially in the 50's.
Hard times came to Studebaker, and another quality builder,Packard. Some thought a merger with Studebaker was a savings for the future.

Mergers can be good and mutual, but in this case, it all came apart. The Studebaker Avanti was its last hoorah I think ?
Too my best knowledge, they company started  in the mid 1800's and built Carriage's and wagons.

The story of the company through the decades is quite interesting.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I wonder when the Porsche is going to appear again?
In truth, it is quite an important car in time. Lets face it, Porsche has dominated in many classes of racing.
I think they have the record for winning the most 24 hours of LeMans races too ?
Respectfully,
John

Kent

I think the story with electric car arround1910 was that in the usa it was 50/50 the mens drove gas engines and the womens electric because it was quiet. At the end the mens won and gas engines became the thing for the next 100 years. (maybe the womens were more right, like always ;-)

Le Mans yes it was Porsche with 19 Wins and then Audi with 13, Tom Kristensen won 9 times with 17 starts

Highest Speed ever was in 1988 with 405 km/h a WM P88 with a peugeot engine

With 68 starts from 1951 to 2019 Porsche has the longest series in starting at le mans, with now 803 Prototypes and GT Cars

The Audi Rings are 4 companys, Wanderer, Horch, DKW, NSU and then it became the Auto Union and Mr. Horch called it AUDI because of the latin meaning for listening in german "Horch" becuase Mr. Horch was not able to use the name Horch again