Author Topic: recomended parts  (Read 1980 times)

papa scoops

• View Profile
recomended parts
« on: August 21, 2019, 05:45:03 PM »
66 Shelby. what brand parts do you recommend (if motorcraft not available) must be dependable, no offbeat parts places, no cheap repop junk , these are strictly for driver, but would be nice if looked ok. need coil, cap, rotor, plugs and wires, points, condenser. again, no repops. phred

Doug C

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: recomended parts
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 06:15:45 PM »
Great suggestion and can’t wait to see what pops up. 

Since I have both a 66 Shelby and 07 4.6 Shelby GT.

Speaking of the 07 4.6 what spark plugs would anyone out there suggest?

Thanks - Doug 

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 08:38:29 PM »
It's not the answer you wanted but, for the sake of discussion, I don't think that all "re-pop" parts should be excluded because many esteemed dealers sell highly reliable reproduction parts, many of which receive Ford Motor Company approval, a costly process.
5S071, 6S1467

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 10:20:31 PM »
Phred,

For ignition parts I recommend Echlin from your nearest NAPA. Cap is FA-79, HiPo points are CS-756, don't have the rotor number handy, been running their stuff for years. Have a few extra Motorcraft condensers, I'll bring one to the meeting tomorrow...

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 11:35:47 AM »
+1 on the Napa/Eichlin parts for inside the distributor.  I have the repro Motorcraft cap and Marti wires and haven't had any issues.  The repro yellow top coils have been problematic, I use an original.  You can use a good quality replacement coil and paint the top yellow.  Let me know if you want the paint code.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 01:35:54 PM »
Ditto on the replacement coils, I've gone 5 or 6 of them until they finally crap out. Cleaned up my rusty pitted original and it has never missed a beat, its not pretty but it works. Same for condenser's, have had problem with replacement ones that weren't OEM, every time I find a used one I buy it. 
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Chad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 03:04:19 PM »
Call Brant at Virginia Mustang  He will take care of you!

Chad

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 03:40:05 PM »
Call Brant at Virginia Mustang  He will take care of you!

Chad
+1

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 05:19:07 AM »
There is an excellent Re-pop of the cap made. It's heavy, has the 1 where it belongs and heavy brass contacts. The repro coils you mention haven't been an issue for a while. The initial units failed because they were  poorly made Chinesium crap. Most coils are no longer oil cooled, but resin insulated. They just don't last like the old oil-filed units. As for a driver, It makes no sense to run points anymore. Pertronix I or II and matching coil.  Kevin Marti makes repo wires that are nice and look correct. However, I have ripped a couple boots removing them from the plugs, even using the dielectric grease.  If anyone tells you the Pertronix units are junk here they don't know what they're talking about. The failures are caused by those who can't read instructions. They MUST have constant 12V power.

-Keith
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 02:19:32 AM by 1967 eight barrel »