News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Don Roberts RIP

Started by jerry merrill, August 22, 2019, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry merrill

The winningest Cobra driver has passed away. He was an amazing driver who could win in almost anything he drove, not to mention one of the nicest guys around. I knew him when I was in the Air Force in Phoenix in the middle 70's and saw him win in several Cobras including the Clifton Hill climb driving Mike Shoen's Daytona Coupe. I will never forget when he was trailering one of Shoen's FIA Cobra's into Phoenix International raceway as a favor to me to be used as the pace car for an SCCA National road race. The entire paddock area had a fit as these corvette drivers thought he had shown up to race his old Cobra and were really upset as they knew they were in big trouble if he was in the race. He will be missed!

silverton_ford

JD

Wow, quite a history and list of accomplishments and competencies!

(Thanks for the link.)

Condolences to all that knew him.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

deathsled

Rest in Peace.  I would have liked to have met him.  Write out your stories gentlemen, for your progeny.  Years or decades later they will want to read about you.  Imagine if you could read letters or stories of your great great great ancestors.  It would be very interesting for you as your stories will be for future generations of you.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

67411F--0100-ENG.

I was fortunate to get to see Don drive Jim Click's 289 Cobra back in the early '90s at the RMVR Steamboat Springs vintage races. Don came out on top after having an excellent race against Jack Schroll and his '66 GT350. Don was super friendly and a pleasure to speak with. Godspeed Don!!!😢

RIP.....now that is a guy I would have liked to sit next to on a coast-to-coast plane ride.

gt350hr

Don ( and Sharon) were wonderful friends for over thirty years and I supplied them with parts for many of the engines he built. He always thought outside the box. He was a true down to earth gentleman not dominated by ego.
    R.I.P. my dear friend.
      Randy and Carol Gillis
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

michael shoen

Don Roberts and his wife Sharon were kind and loving to a LOT of people in the road-racing and Cobra world, including myself and my wife Christa. Don and Sharon made the difficult world of road racing and Cobras more accessible for many of us. I first saw Don and Sharon at an Arizona SCCA meeting over 50 years ago and I thought, wow. Don helped me from the beginning and is still an inspiration. I could tell a lot of stories, and they were all good. With great respect to a decent man. Michael L. Shoen

Side-Oilers

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but my condolences and best wishes to his family and friends.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

csxsfm

I raced my 289 Cobra as a privateer in SCCA B-Production races on the west coast during the period right after Shelby American quit building and racing Cobras, 1968-71.  Naturally, I observed other Cobra competitors.   Based on my observations, two clearly stood as the very best - Don Roberts and Elliot Forbes-Robinson.  Elliot quickly transitioned out of his Cobra into his professional racing career while Don successfully campaigned CSX2473 for years.  Don knew how to prepare his Cobra, but his extraordinary skill driving it is what made him the winner he was.  He could safely squeeze every ounce of performance out of that snake.  Very sorry to hear of his passing. 

Wedgeman

I was there at Laguna Seca in 81 & watched  him win !!!....RIP Mr. Roberts .... 8)