Author Topic: Hard starting  (Read 2437 times)

blue66

• View Profile
Hard starting
« on: September 04, 2019, 01:55:13 PM »
I've been having trouble starting my car this summer.  It will start and run for about 2-3 seconds then stall.  After about 4 attempts it will start and run rough for about 2 minutes, then run ok.  When I turn it off and let it sit for awhile the starting and stalling will repeat itself.  Does anyone have some thoughts what might be the trouble?  I took the air cleaner off and moved the throttle and gas was injected into the carb.  No leaks around the outside of the carb.  Its a Holley on a late model 1966 gt350.  Any help will be appreciated.

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: Hard starting
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 02:30:08 PM »
How old is the Holley since the last rebuild?  Have you been running pure fuel or the 10% ethanol?  It might be time for a rebuild.  Or try a different carb that is known to be working correctly and see if the problem changes or goes away.

Cory
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 07:51:48 PM by 6s1640 »

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 03:05:48 PM »
I bet it is your points.... clean them and reset the gap.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 05:31:53 PM »
Could also be a bad replacement yellow top coil, I’ve had 7 bad ones, they just get weaker and weaker till they won’t start at all. Or it could be a combination of things, do a good old fashioned tuneup on it, adjust valve, new plugs and points, and check carb
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

blue66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 05:48:04 PM »
I do run clear gas in it but the carb hasn't been rebuilt for the 21 years that I have owned it.  It has electronic ignition, also.  A Holley rebuild is probably my next move although I will have to find someone to do it since I'm mechanically challenged!!!

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 07:07:32 PM »
I do run clear gas in it but the carb hasn't been rebuilt for the 21 years that I have owned it.  It has electronic ignition, also.  A Holley rebuild is probably my next move although I will have to find someone to do it since I'm mechanically challenged!!!

Hi Blue66,

Tune up would be good, but definitely a carb rebuild.  Carb's also do not sitting well and I bet your car sits more than drives.  There are several threads on here that have recommendations.

Best of luck

Cory
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 07:09:46 PM by 6s1640 »

blue66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 07:29:08 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your replies.  I will start looking for a good Holley repair shop.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 09:03:24 PM »
Drew Pojedinac.

He doesn't just throw a kit in them and adjust to Holley's specifications. He fixes everything else that the other rebuilders here do not.  The link here is my carbs on his 427 that wouldn't idle and fuel-soaked everything.  This is the guy people send their carbs that have been doing engine building for 50 years. He looks at them from an engineering standpoint as well.  I will be glad to provide you his information.
The carbs in the link below are mine.  They run PERFECT now.
He's on FB as well as this forum.

These are my BJ-BK's on Drews Galaxie.  They run beautifully and the AF is on the money.
                                                               -Keith

https://www.facebook.com/AirFuelSParkTech/videos/1231150237067129

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 04:25:15 AM »
Hey Keith, can you provide a link, phone number, business name... or whatever for Drew Pojedinac. I'd like to save this high recommendation for future reference, but a quick Google search didn't find this guy.

Thanks,
Steve

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 09:36:05 AM »
He's here on the forum, you can P/M him.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 02:54:54 PM »
Hey Keith, can you provide a link, phone number, business name... or whatever for Drew Pojedinac. I'd like to save this high recommendation for future reference, but a quick Google search didn't find this guy.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve. You can pm me on this forum.
Even if you want to do the rebuild yourself, hit me up with any questions or issues, be happy to help.
That said, take the advice above and go through the ignition first. A large amount of carb issues are actually weak ignition problems.