News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Carroll's Pantera auction

Started by honker, September 11, 2019, 09:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

There are around a dozen of these that were purchased in Shelby's name while he was at Chrysler.

Iococca wanted an Italian exotic and investigated installing Mopar small blocks in them. There are two or three that I know of that were converted. I presume the others just laid in inventory at Chrysler some where? They all seem to be red.

Eventually Ioccocca decided on purchasing Lamborghini. The '92 Diablos had Chrysler vin tags on them as a result.

I never heard the story about Tjarda giving Shelby a car. Considering that he was just a designer and was not a Detomaso employee I doubt that. Especially since he passed a few years ago and can not be reached for comment now. I tend to think this is just another salesman's bs dreamed up to sell the car.

There has been one of the cars on ebay for quite some time at $250 with no interest that I know of.

I don't think those cars were ever US legalized at all. The Mopar powered ones were running around the streets in LA with MFG plates on them.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

honker

Thanks for the info regarding that Pantera, always something to learn on the forum, as  I've said before the depth of knowledge here never ceases to amaze !

Mike

gt350hr

Mike I agree with Doug in that Tjarda giving this to Carroll is a real stretch along with him designing a high revving engine. Carroll was not an engine guy , period. "Build me something that will rev real high" sounds plausible but "he" couldn't tell you how to do it. He sold off an earlier "development car" that had a turbo 340 Chrysler in it but it was never "federalized" and couldn't be registered. Super low miles with turbo modifications by the late Art Chrisman and paid for by Chrysler. I agree this car offered is a similar situation. With both of the named principals having passed , the claims are harder to dispute LOL.
  Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Coralsnake

1986?  /  "Shelby Automobile" ? 

Do those even go together? I think he was working for Chrysler.

Not even sure there was such a company in 1983?
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 11, 2019, 01:50:47 PM
1986?  /  "Shelby Automobile" ? 

Do those even go together? I think he was working for Chrysler.

Not even sure there was such a company in 1983?

CS revived his manufacturing license in the early 80s when J Brunk came up with the scheme to remake 12 66 convertibles. 4 for CS 4 for Brunk and 4 to sell and pay for all 12. He kept it active since that time. A lot of the Chrysler development and some assembly work on cars like the GLHS was done under Shelby's name in Whittier CA.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

Shelby's assembly line in Whittier CA that built the CSX-T and Shelby Dakota V-8 truck (1988-89) was Shelby Automobiles.

I know, because I worked there. Managed the press fleet and PR. 

There was a Pantera at the facility with a Lotus-head Chrysler 2.2 turbo, and one with the Chrysler V-8. My memory is that it was a 360, not a 340, as the 360 was in production, and the 340 was not.   
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

gt350hr

Side-Oilers,
        I'm sure you are right as I was going off of what Art ( who was at the auction in Newport Beach) was calling it. That red Pantera was not a wide body. I do not recall the other one you mention being at the auction I attended ( Rick Cole IIRC). I know you were at the Whittier location and am not disputing your information. Do you recall the "wide body" currently being offered?
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Side-Oilers

Randy,
No problem, I didn't think you were disputing my info.

I don't recall seeing the wide body car. But, it seemed like cars were continually being moved around in the shop, the storage lot out back, and wherever else they could find to park some iron. 

Maybe it was kept at the Chrysler Shelby Development Center in Santa Fe Springs, which pre-dated the Whittier location. (Approx 1982-87 for Santa Fe Springs, IIRC)
Van
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

Side-Oilers

Maybe our super-sleuths Szabo and Richstang can decipher vintage photos of the Whittier and Santa Fe Springs facilities to find out... ;D
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

Richstang

Quote from: Side-Oilers on September 11, 2019, 08:31:47 PM
Maybe our super-sleuths Szabo and Richstang can decipher vintage photos of the Whittier and Santa Fe Springs facilities to find out... ;D

Those Chrysler facilities are way out of my research ballpark. Even if I do like the Pantera's...
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!