News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Plasti dip

Started by deathsled, September 11, 2019, 03:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Wisely or more likely unwisely, I put clear plasti dip on the nose and the front roof area of the Boss 302 LS to prevent road rash on the drive to Toronto last summer. It has been on since and I have pulled some of the dip off recently but some remains where it is thinner and clingy to the paint. Any suggestions to remove the residue is welcome. Any suggestions that won't remove the Boss stripes or damage plastic or rubber trim is appreciated. Thank you!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

tesgt350

You might try using a Buffer or maybe even WD-40.

J_Speegle

Creamy peanut butter may be worth a try
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

kjspeed

Richard, I'm not familiar with plasti dip, but I've found a product called Goof-Off works on lots of sticky situations from bumper stickers to pine sap and tar without harming the painted surface underneath. Good luck! ~Kevin
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

CSX 4133

Judicious use of a heat gun to gently loosen the material should work. Remember to keep the heat gun eight inches away from the surface and keep the gun moving at all times to avoid overheating.

There is a product called Tub-O-Towels. It is a orange solvent impregnated cloth. This one is soft, many are very coarse.

Inexpensive and effective. You may have to reapply wax, but if you are gentle, it won't hurt things. Made to get tar and grease off your hands so safe to use.

https://www.amazon.com/Tub-Towels-Heavy-Duty-Multi-Surface-Cleaning/dp/B00022W4ZU/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_rp_c_0_2/141-9217256-4928342?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00022W4ZU&pd_rd_r=45a7a03c-71f8-4ed6-a78b-c38bdf8d2fc0&pd_rd_w=PDMAX&pd_rd_wg=WTGiz&pf_rd_p=e7de3e41-8621-46b5-8090-e75951bb9b3e&pf_rd_r=ANGS5E91EGRRWZZ2QTS5&psc=1&refRID=ANGS5E91EGRRWZZ2QTS5

deathsled

Thank you gentlemen.  I will check on, and consider all of your suggestions.

deathsled

The WD 40 went after the plasti dip like a terror.  I had a bucket of soap and water nearby to neutralize any untoward effects of the WD 40 on the paint (there were none).  It wiped right off.  I missed a couple of spots due to bad lighting or bad eyesight or a combination thereof but I will double back later and take care of the rest.  Thanks for the recommendations.  Boss LS is looking bad to the bone.