News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

$4,100 for a Cobra keychain

Started by deathsled, September 20, 2019, 09:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Mr Jackson's reply as he is having his morning macchiato....lmao

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on September 20, 2019, 11:16:59 PM
Quote from: deathsled on September 20, 2019, 09:03:46 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Vintage-Carroll-Shelby-Cobra-CS-1960s-Keychain-Key-Ring-in-box-289-427-/133170366894?ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=Z2bNkUlDtzSODfXrFWCmoRFmUSY%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Wow!  Congrats to whoever won.  But my concern now becomes the winner dealing with the hard end of a rolling pin.  You bought wha?  For how much?  Wha? Boing!!!!Knocked out cold with the rolling pin.  Hide it!

Is this any different than paying a million for the first 2020 GT500?
[
/quote]
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

A-Snake

This 'mistake' address of 1002 Princeton also occurred on other products when SA was at the Venice address. The Cobra dash plaques that original customers ordered used the 1002 address. When the dash plaques were later reproduced they also used the incorrect 1002 address.

Shelby6t5 Mike HHI, SC

All well and good, but was the price paid justified by its rarity. Seems stupid high to me.
Just my 2 €.

Mike

deathsled

Good to know the buyer didn't get burned. I don't like seeing bad deals. BUT the buyer is not out of the woods yet. Hide the keychain in a safe. Otherwise you get the rolling pin! I am so glad I now live a single life. Wouldn't have it any other way.

But then again I am assuming facts not in evidence. The buyer could be the wife who bought it for her husband (highly unlikely but not impossible). Or the buyer has a wonderful relationship with the wife and she will congratulate him on the purchase and praise him for getting what he wanted (realistic or a J.R.R. Tolkien fantasy?). Or the buyer has been through three marriages (like me) and said screw it. I'm buying the damned thing because I want it and no one is going to stop me. You decide. (And no, I am not the buyer).
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

as some ponder on this purchase

did they buy it early or did they buy it  late

nothing in this world has concrete meaning

at the end of the day, price is merely a perception

nohing more, nothing less

the buyer has the means to purchase the item and did

betcha they are happy and have a big smile on their face right now

and if they have access to this forum are pretty entertained by the pettiness

may they enjoy the purchase and yall enjoy what's left of your weekend
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

BGlover67

Quote from: Shelby6t5 Mike HHI, SC on September 21, 2019, 10:25:46 AM
All well and good, but was the price paid justified by its rarity. Seems stupid high to me.
Just my 2 €.

Mike

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  (My dad's words, not mine). This buyer felt comfortable paying that much.  (I didn't).

I'm thinking of submitting an article about some of these unique Shelby collectables to the Shelby American.  I think years ago, there were just a handful of folks collecting these items like mugs, ashtrays, lighters and deodorant sprays, but with the ever inflating prices, this may be the only way some people ever get to own a true piece of an authentic Shelby product.  Now we just need Vern to sit down and right the definitive book on it already.  I'm sure at least a dozen of us would buy it, right?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

deathsled

I'd buy it. And Tony, well written synopsis. I agree.

Dwathencars

I'll reinforce what Vern said with a couple of photos. This is the original keychain from CSX2367, and it has the gold patina of age.  I'm the collector that Vern mentioned who cast several copies of this keychain using the silicone mold process with metal tinted resin.   I posted photos of those some years ago.   There is also a photo of some of the Shelby items that I acquired from Vern soon after acquiring the Cobra.  I'll also buy Vern's book!   Dave
CSX 2367.   Jaguar SS100,XK120, Etype, Mercedes 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet, 1961 Maserati Vignale Spyder

Dwathencars

And just to reinforce that we are all "normal " with our willingness to pay up for rare Shelby items, this is the fob from my 66 Jaguar.  These sell for $6-800, somewhat higher since a book about fobs came out a year ago.  And there were 70,000 Etypes built 1961 to 1973. 
I always say the same thing to Lori if we discuss car related prices. "hon, there are men with much worse hobbies than fun cars".   She just smiles...
CSX 2367.   Jaguar SS100,XK120, Etype, Mercedes 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet, 1961 Maserati Vignale Spyder

Dan Case

Quote from: deathsled on September 20, 2019, 11:23:00 PM
1002 versus 1042.  Very disconcerting.  Hmmmmm.

The originals I have seen including one I have are marked 1002.  SA had several "business" addresses. I have seen driver quality car used originals sell in the $500-600 range as long as ten years ago.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

deathsled

The experts have spoken and I accept that it's an original.  I am glad the buyer didn't get burned.  The keychain should be kept in a glass case.  Like one of Kurt Cobain's smashed guitars.  I have an original Shelby Cobra white Tee I scored not so long ago (yes the one made in Japan that you can read a newspaper through).  It smells a bit musty.  I was thinking of having it dry cleaned.  Anyone have any suggestions pro versus con about dry cleaning before display in a football jersey style glass and wood case??

Vernon Estes

Quote from: BGlover67 on September 21, 2019, 02:04:05 PM
Just my 2 €.

Mike

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  (My dad's words, not mine). This buyer felt comfortable paying that much.  (I didn't).

I'm thinking of submitting an article about some of these unique Shelby collectables to the Shelby American.  I think years ago, there were just a handful of folks collecting these items like mugs, ashtrays, lighters and deodorant sprays, but with the ever inflating prices, this may be the only way some people ever get to own a true piece of an authentic Shelby product.  Now we just need Vern to sit down and right the definitive book on it already.  I'm sure at least a dozen of us would buy it, right?

Me, sit down? NEVER lol

If your offer stands to buy ten of the books (making a maximum print run of 20 books) then ill do it. Haha

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

deathsled

Quote from: Vernon Estes on September 21, 2019, 11:52:46 PM
Quote from: BGlover67 on September 21, 2019, 02:04:05 PM
Just my 2 €.

Mike

Me, sit down? NEVER lol

If your offer stands to buy ten of the books (making a maximum print run of 20 books) then ill do it. Haha

Kind regards,
Vern

I'll buy one.  Put me down.  Richard Elsliger