News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Why Car Museums are Closing

Started by deathsled, September 27, 2019, 08:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

+ 1 agreed we need to do a better job of telling and showing our history

dont ask me who the people in the photos are, we  truly dont know

they or their parents stopped by started a conversation on the vehicle and ended up with a memory

Quote from: Greg on November 13, 2019, 02:49:37 PM
Quote from: gt350hr on November 13, 2019, 11:19:07 AM

Randy,

I guess I see things a little different than most but I will offer my 2 cents. 

Collectors are divesting because some of them see it's time for them.  That is not unreasonable as people do change over time.  For some, the thrill of the hunt is what keeps them in the game and unless you keep that passion stoked, you get bored.  Prices seem to be holding pretty strong for good cars and it will continue to do so.  A wise man once told me, good cars don't have to be sold, they sell themselves and I have found that to be true.  That being said, there has to be a demand and the Shelby provenance carries a tremendous amount of weight and desire.

Automotive museums are closing because people have moved on to the internet, youtube etc.... where you can see them all.  Before cars such as a Cobra, GT350, GT500 or a 71 Hemi Cuda was at your finger click, you only saw them at a museum if you were fortunate.  Now you can seem in 4K and in great detail.

Not every millennial is fixated on their phone and tablet, look at the street racing TV show's and the restoration shows.  There are more of them on TV and online than ever before because demand is strong.  I believe however, that each of us does have a responsibility to show our cars to young people and when at a car show let them sit in your baby instead of "DO NOT TOUCH".  You remember what it was like to see the cobra symbol in the steering wheel or the tach on the dash.  One day, some of them will have the cash to buy them and will. 

Why will they buy them, because they are rare and worth something.  Even though you can buy a technically better car, you can't buy the provenance or the investment value.  The reason Model T, A and B's dropped in value is because there are still a lot of them, remember Ford built something like 4 Million of them by 1930.  Compare that to probably 3-400 65's, a few thousand 66's, 67-70's etc... that are left.

I don't buy into the gloom and doom because I don't see it.  I attend most of the major shows and there are more late model mustangs there than 60's, why, because that is what they can afford and they have a desire to show them.  So we as early Shelby and mustang owners have a couple of choices, be active in the Shelby community and promote the cars by attending events or sale the car to someone that will.  Don't take the option of just letting it set there under the cover because it might get dirty, or it's to nice to drive or your afraid it will get hit.  I implore everyone, drive your cars every chance you get, show them to the world.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

1967 eight barrel

I think we all do some "divesting" when we have much more than we need or we're moving on to something new. I do the same thing with some of my coin collection and train collection. I also have no blood children.  It would become a burden to anyone who had to liquidate my collections.  I also have not noticed a real downward trend in the market. As usual, it's liquid and fluctuates.
P.S. Ole' Casey is from the hell hole known as Connecticut. That's not a southern drawl.

Side-Oilers

According to his own site: 

"Casey Putsch is a 36 year-old resident of Perrysburg, Ohio where he lives with his wife Taylor. He is most well known for his automotive accolades and endeavors in restoration, design, and racing. Often described as the ultimate renaissance man, Putsch is also a leader in the social sector with his philanthropic work. Most notable of which is the Genius Garage, a non-profit educational program and charity that Putsch founded."

"Often described as the ultimate renaissance man..."

Not just a run of the mill regular renaissance man, he's the ultimate.

Often described by whom? Himself? 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

1967 eight barrel

He was listed as CT in another profile.   Ohio is northern, not southern.  Still an annoying puke.

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

Bigfoot

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 14, 2019, 10:09:13 PM

"Casey Putsch is a 36 year-old resident of Perrysburg, Ohio where he lives with his wife Taylor. He is most well known for his automotive accolades and endeavors in restoration, design, and racing. Often described as the ultimate renaissance man, Putsch is also a leader in the social sector with his philanthropic work. Most notable of which is the Genius Garage, a non-profit educational program and charity that Putsch founded."

Self proclaimed
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Side-Oilers

Last time I checked, da Vinci would be considered an ultimate Renaissance Man.  (But he didn't have a blog.)

"Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519) is a prime example of a Renaissance man. He was a painter, sculptor, humanist, scientist, architect, philosopher, engineer, and more. He was considered a universal genius by many."
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

and that's what we call entertainment....acting !
Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 14, 2019, 10:09:13 PM

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

67 GT350

Hmmmm, Genius Garage, a non-profit educational program and charity that Putsch founded.

Hmmm, he's on the NON-profit band wagon.
RARE  Signature Delete

Greg

Quote from: 67 GT350 on November 15, 2019, 09:51:36 AM
Hmmmm, Genius Garage, a non-profit educational program and charity that Putsch founded.

Hmmm, he's on the NON-profit band wagon.

What better way to buy cool cars and get a tax write off....
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Chad

I would think his game is for someone to donate a cool car to his "charity"

1967 eight barrel

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 14, 2019, 10:17:32 PM
Last time I checked, da Vinci would be considered an ultimate Renaissance Man.  (But he didn't have a blog.)

"Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519) is a prime example of a Renaissance man. He was a painter, sculptor, humanist, scientist, architect, philosopher, engineer, and more. He was considered a universal genius by many."

Didn't Leonardo da Vinci invent the internet? Nevermind. That was Al Bore. LOL
My flight quote is actually from none other than da Vinci.  He would be amazed if he flew jump seat on the flight deck with me.  He could have never guessed flight would become what it is.

-Keith

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on November 17, 2019, 05:39:08 PM
He could have never guessed flight would become what it is.

-Keith

Or could he have guessed?   :o

Don Johnston

If he espoused the future of human flight he probably would have been burned at the stake or blasphemy in an era when the belief was that only angels could fly.   

So as to the original topic, would some believe that all museums will eventually close as all we need to see or know is on the magic web of information and all that old stuff is just old stuff? 8) 

1967 eight barrel

At the end of the day the only way to maintain interest with teaching history is to have tangible history you can touch. Otherwise most of lost when you start reciting dates and places.  I had planned to teach history but decided I couldn't have tolerated mouthy millennials.