News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Checkered Flag Henry " Hank " Williams

Started by FL SAAC, December 26, 2023, 06:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

HENRY "HANK" WILLIAMS

June 26,1924 - December 5, 2023

Henry "Hank" Williams Jr was born on June 26th 1924 in Shreveport, Louisiana to the late Henry Williams Sr. and Gertrude King Williams and was the oldest of four children.

He and his family later moved to Kansas City, Kansas, where he and his siblings, were raised.

In 1942 at the age of 18 Henry enlisted into the army and took part in the invasion of Normandy Beach during World War II against the Nazis, and was honorably discharged

More at

Most Recent Obituaries | Ingold Funeral & Cremation
https://www.ingoldfuneralandcremation.com/obituaries
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

BGlover67

Part of the 'Greatest Generation'.  God Bless him for his service.  Here is a great article on the Gentleman's Racer site about him and his amazing Cobra:

https://www.thegentlemanracer.com/2012/09/the-hank-williams-cobra.html

The Hank Williams Cobra

It is a rare sight to see an original Cobra on the road, even at car shows many of the "Cobras" are simply replicas, but rarer still is finding an original car, with the original owner. A plaque on the windshield reads "History-Making Cobra" and that statement is true in more ways than one. Hank Williams moved to Southern California in 1964, an aspiring racing driver piloting an Austin Healey 3000, but the world of sports car racing was moving towards bigger engines and faster lap times and the old Healey was not going to cut it much longer. The new Cobra as being raced at Riverside International Raceway not far from Hanks home in Fontana, and less than a year after seeing a Cobra on the track, he was at the dealership purchasing his car.

But it was not as simple as that, the dealership that had sold Hank the car did not really own it, it was on loan from another dealer as a display item, when he returned to pick the car up the next day it had gone back to the dealer in Pomona that had loaned out the car. After about two weeks of run around and red tape he threatened to sue, the next day the car magically appeared.

Hank was soon hitting the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) racing events in Southern, California. For 10 years the hank and his machine competed in 394 events and took home 35 trophies, including a plaque that commemorated his drive as the first African-American to drive around Indianapolis Speedway.

The car is almost 100% original, having had minor race damage repaired over the years, even the Hard Top was a factory Shelby option, and a rare one at that. And that grey-blue paint... it is some kind of a mistake, the car was supposed to be light blue, but three cars left the factory with this unique color. Hank guessed that they just had a little silver and a little blue so they mixed them and painted the car.

Hank is now 72 years old and has owned the car for nearly 50 years, look for him at events, he is still active with the Shelby clubs and attends several shows a year.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

deathsled

RIP. I remember meeting him at a couple of SAAC events. Great guy.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

A very cool cat.Met him several times at the event on the Santa Monica pier.R.I.P.

Side-Oilers

Nice guy with a great Cobra legacy.  He got the most out of his given laps on this planet.

Rest in Speed.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

One of the nicest guys in the hobby. 

From LASAAC:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ky_t2pO1wRA?start=268&end=485&version=3

https://www.lashelbyclub.com/so/0aOoculXq/c?w=U5lue7noopklRG__l8z8qE-8p0KWM3wMSJ5ycm1glkw.eyJ1IjoiaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaW5kZXBlbmRlbnQuY28udWsvbGlmZS1zdHlsZS9tb3RvcmluZy9mZWF0dXJlcy90aGUtamF6em1hbi1hbmQtdGhlLXNoZWxieS1jb2JyYS1hLTUweWVhci13aW5uaW5nLXBhcnRuZXJzaGlwLTc1Mzc2NDAuaHRtbCIsInIiOiI5ZTg1ODcxMy1lMmZhLTQwZjYtOGMyYS1hOGEwOGE3NTQ3ZDUiLCJtIjoibWFpbCIsImMiOiJiYjI4NDcxMi03NzUwLTQ5ZDMtOWQxOS1jZTYwOTdmMGJjODgifQ

Hank Williams: June 1924 - Dec. 2023

Henry "Hank" Williams Obituary

Henry "Hank" Williams Jr. was born on June 26, 1924 in Shreveport, Louisiana to the late Henry Williams Sr. and Gertrude King Williams and was the oldest of four children. He and his family later moved to Kansas City, Kansas where he and his siblings were raised. In 1942, at the age of 18, Henry enlisted into the army and took part in the invasion of Normandy Beach during World War II against the Nazis, and was honorably discharged in 1945. After his military service, Henry moved to Los Angeles, California where he met Rose Silva, and from that relationship they welcomed Gail Yvonne Tumlin and Michael Millard Silva. Subsequent to that relationship, he met Doris Edna Yearling and from that relationship, they welcomed Barbara Ann Hughes.

Henry, in his new home city of Los Angeles began expressing his love for music by joining a jazz blues band as a drummer, and traveled around the country and played in the presence of people like B.B. King, Fats Domino, Tina Turner and Ray Charles. Henry, until his passing, always maintained that B.B. King owed him 20 bucks. Henry decided to end his music career in 1955. He then became an ambulance driver and advanced to an ambulance dispatcher at USC Medical Center where he spent the next 35 years until his retirement in 1990. During this time, Henry discovered a new love, his love for fast cars and decided to become a race car driver racing Formula B open wheel cars. Henry further expanded his love for fast cars in 1964 by purchasing a Shelby Cobra which became one of his life's pride and joy. Henry also developed a close relationship with the car's creator, Carroll Shelby. They remained close friends until Shelby's passing. He enjoyed showcasing his Shelby Cobra at countless car shows where he was often the guest of honor and awarded numerous trophies, including best of show and in his later years being one of the only original owners of a Shelby Cobra.

In 1972, during a brief period of employment at Martin Luther King Hospital, Henry met Helen Jean Dizadare and they dated for three years before getting married on September 8, 1975 in which he became a loving stepfather to Pamela Danielle Gordon. On October 10, 1976, Henry and Helen welcomed their son, Henry Jarvis Williams into the world and on July 15, 1979 they welcomed their daughter, Dominique Enjoli Williams. Henry, during his marriage, was very handy around the house often doing various repairs and maintenance on a level of a professional handyman. He also showcased his skills as a mechanic by taking up the task of restoring Pamela's first car and also replacing the engine in Jarvis's first car. He later built his first trailer in his garage that he used to transport his Shelby Cobra to numerous car shows.

In 1983, tragedy struck Henry's life when sometime in April of that year his first born son, Michael Millard Silva passed away. This moment in time weighed heavy on Henry, but eventually after some time, Henry managed to pick up the pieces and continue to provide for and maintain the well-balanced and loving home that he and Helen created. Unfortunately, Henry and Helen grew apart and in 1995 they divorced. Henry later moved to Fontana California, where he lived and enjoyed visits from his children and grandchildren, and where he passed away on December 5, 2023.

Henry was survived by his children Gail Yvonne Tumlin Camacho, Barbara Ann Hughes, Pamela Danielle Gordon, Henry Jarvis Williams, Dominique Enjoli Williams and numerous grandchildren, great grandchildren and great-great grandchildren. Henry was proceeded in death by Henry Williams Sr, his father, Gertrude King Williams, his mother, sisters Chloe Williams, Zelma, and his brother Johnny Williams, and his son Michael Millard Silva.

VIDEO:

Hank Williams on The Vintage Vehicle Show at the Tony Sousa Memorial Car Show on the Historic Santa Monica Pier | Sept '07
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

TA Coupe

Last time I saw him was probably about 15 years ago at the Coronado Vintage Races. He or his wife used to call every couple of years just to talk. One of the most memorable people I ever met and I've met my share of famous people.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

deathsled

Quote from: 557 on December 26, 2023, 09:00:26 PM
A very cool cat.Met him several times at the event on the Santa Monica pier.R.I.P.

Sounds exotic and dreamy.  Yeah yeah I know California and problems...but still.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

QuickSilverShelby

Met him a few years ago at SAAC 43.  It was an honor.   RIP brother.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

QuickSilverShelby

What I really love about the picture of Hank and I is the back story.  My friend Steve and I had come down from Alberta, Canada to attend SAAC 43.  During the show we were enjoying all the incredible cars and the great weather when we came upon this amazing Cobra and Hank was close by.  At the time, I did not know the history of the car or the story of Hank.

While admiring Hanks car a stranger approached me and we began discussing the car and Hank.   This stranger educated me on the history and significance of the car as well as the icon who was "Hank" Williams.  I was awestruck with the story and I was excited to be in the company of what I knew to be a legend of the Shelby Cobra world.  It was the same way I felt when Steve and I met Carroll Shelby at the old Vegas museum.  We were in the presence of a historical figure and greatness.

When that stranger told me the tale and history of Hank, I knew right then and there I had to get a picture with him.  I still ponder who the stranger was but I am so fortunate that he shared the story with me.  That was a special day for many reasons and I am forever grateful.

QSS

Dang, I get shivers just thinking about that day.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Krelboyne

Hank was a regular at many SoCal car shows. I had the pleasure of chatting with him many times.
He was a very down to earth and approachable person. He was very generous with his time at these event. He would let kids sit inside the Cobra for pictures.
I asked him once if he got pestered to sell his car. He said constantly, even had a guy give him a blank check, once.
He said that he was never even tempted, not for any price. He said that the if he sold the Cobra, the fun would end. He enjoyed people, enjoying the car and his story.
I once told him, that he was one of the best Ambassadors for the Shelby Cobras. He looked me, and said the "Mr Shelby" also said the same thing to him. He admitted that he was a bit uncomfortable with that statement. He said that Mr Shelby would called him personally, prior to many special events. Mostly to see if he could or would attend. For out of town events, Carroll would book his lodging and send him travel expenses.
I was not aware that Hank was a WWII vet, I honestly didn't realize that he was that old. RIP friend.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

68blk500c

The few times we visited, I addressed him as, Mr. Williams.  He would smile broadly and express his appreciation for hearing, Mr. Williams.

A genuine person.  RIP, Mr. Williams.

greekz

Twenty plus years ago when I lived in Long Beach, CA., Hank was at many of the car shows I attended.  I do not have enough fingers and toes to count how many youngsters were invited to sit in his Cobra and have their picture taken.  I am sure it is a memory they will have forever.  He would say "they cannot hurt anything"  He was always gracious and welcoming.  He will truly be missed.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

FL SAAC

God bless him and our sincerest condolences to his family.

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert