News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

The 66 Dash

Started by deathsled, October 05, 2019, 02:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

For a while I've thought about organizing a "race" ahem, I mean untimed road rally that would take place on Route 66 from Chicago to Los Angeles using the original road as much as possible. I know that 15 percent of the original route is fragmented so it would follow as closely as possible the original road. The participants would have to confirm they used the road by GPS reckoning. 
Then as I sat in my office this morning I began to think about the legal implications if someone got injured, maimed or killed. The results would be dire. I don't believe waivers would stand up in court and would be held to be exculpatory clauses to something that is otherwise highly illegal. And that took the fun out of it. But still, if it was characterized as a fun motoring event and not a timed event then maybe it would be okay. If one chose to race to the finish then they are on their own.
If such an event were to take place what car would you choose? What would be the ideal time of year? I am headed out to route 66 at the moment to survey conditions.

Best,

Richard 
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

CSX 4133

So you envision something like this event Richard ?   The Silver State Classic Challenge in Nevada is a very fast timed event on pavement. Not very technical, but a lot of fast cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jua9p_FHpQE

deathsled

I would like to enter the Silverstate Classic. Likely the 90 mph category. On The Road right now.
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

deathsled