News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Front tire size selection

Started by bhoulis, October 06, 2019, 11:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT350DAVE

I realize that everyone has an opinion and I have offered mine from my own experiences. I drive my cars more than most people do and having a sloped driveway 90 degrees from the road taught me about tire clearance issues when I turned into it. The 235's worked well going down the road but that driveway and some slopped parking entrances when the tires are turned made me look further for a front tire.

Greekz. The 225 60's work very well and have used them successfully. I do prefer filling the fender openings with a bigger tire but that just me. This photo is of a friend's 67 with 225 60 R15's.
Support the SAAC Registry

shelbydoug

There is an additional factor to consider which likely is affecting the tire rubbing situation. If you dial in more castor into the front it pulls the tire forward enough in relation to the wheel well opening and you likely will have fender interference in the front of the fender. Some chassis tuners do recommend that. Been there, done that. Don't go that route.

1-1/2 degrees of caster is all you can run without creating fender interference. 2-1/2 will hit in the front.

I've got lowered springs and lowered a-arms so my geometry isn't stock. My rear leafs have an extra long leaf and the front bar is 1-1/8". These are all factors in how the front tires traveling arc changes from a completely stock configuration. I just want to qualify that.

Completely stock has greater limitations as the arc of the tire travel lets the tire lean out at the top, stays less flat to the pavement and edge loads the outer tread more enough to cause tire to fender clearance issues. In other words, completely stock the top of the tire leans out towards the fender in travel.

I do remember that when I first got the car  in 1972, even E60-15's were rubbing with a completely stock configuration. Those combinations are what set me off to find the right solution 40 years ago.

If I recall correctly, there was a TSB issued for '68s when the car was new dealing with the stock Goodyears rubbing on the fenders so if you want to be completely stock and Concourse correct, your front tires should rub? The correction using the TSB is after the car was first delivered new, i.e., a modification to stock. ;)

Someone may have noticed that a simple answer to the OP question is not that simple.   ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Tom Honegger

225 60's. Fender lip rolled, lowered springs. No rubbing issues, unless you
turn into a "ramped" driveway at speed.

greekz

Quote from: GT350DAVE on October 10, 2019, 01:04:41 AM
I realize that everyone has an opinion and I have offered mine from my own experiences. I drive my cars more than most people do and having a sloped driveway 90 degrees from the road taught me about tire clearance issues when I turned into it. The 235's worked well going down the road but that driveway and some slopped parking entrances when the tires are turned made me look further for a front tire.

Greekz. The 225 60's work very well and have used them successfully. I do prefer filling the fender openings with a bigger tire but that just me. This photo is of a friend's 67 with 225 60 R15's.

Thanks Dave for the photo.  This car sits about like mine, up in the front.  I suppose that is about normal for a Gt-350, unless it had been lowered.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Shelby_r_b

Dave - what brand of tires do you use?
Nothing beats a classic!

GT350DAVE

I'm not a fan of the tires I am using presently which are BFGoodrich but there aren't a lot of good options for that tire size.

greekz, yes, the cars all seem to sit high unless you alter them. I lowered the front of both my cars. I first tried the available replacement rear springs but what is presently available are soft compared to the originals so I removed them.
Support the SAAC Registry

mark p

Brian - a few guys are running these, have you seen them? There is another discussion elsewhere on the forum...
https://www.vredestein.com/classic/tyre-finder/tyres/product/3/990-sprint-classic#specification

Hope you find something that suits you.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

deathsled

I suspect the 67 GT 350 stance isn't far off from a 66. That being said, 205 60R 15 on mine with no rolled fender and no rubbing issues. Plus the A arms are lowered and I used 475 pound springs with a 1 inch drop. No rubbing issues.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

oldcanuck

Quote from: Tom Honegger on October 10, 2019, 10:26:36 AM
225 60's. Fender lip rolled, lowered springs. No rubbing issues, unless you
turn into a "ramped" driveway at speed.

Tom,

Is that raven black with silver stripes I see ???

Bob

PS.... I screwed up when I put 215/60R15s on the front..... should have gone 215/65R15 to match the 235/60R15s on the back..... rookie mistake.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

oldcanuck

Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

1967 eight barrel

Being this isn't a concours question I am running 245 40 17 front and 255 40 17 rear.
My Shelby has the Arning drop, 1" lower Global West 635LB front springs, 175lb rear 1" lowered.
No rubbing and the Traction masters and leaf spring snubbers  work well with putting the tire to the pavement.