News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

No crank no start 69GT

Started by 1969shelbygt350, October 06, 2019, 07:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969shelbygt350

Need help please. I m not car mechanic. Love to play with my cars.
Started my 69 today, it tried to start and then stopped. Started it a again and died. Heard a click on right side of the car.
Now no crank at all. Battery is fully charged.
I checked with my battery charger. It registered alternator voltage BAD.

Any suggestions.'please help!

Thx
Phuong

J_Speegle

Connection check, clean and tighten (battery, ground and starter cables) would be my next step followed by bypassing the starter relay as the next check. 

Once you get past those then I would check the starter
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

1969shelbygt350

Portable charger showed alternator voltage Bad!!! So alternator problem??
Thx

Greg

Since you have limited knowledge of the mechanics of the car, I suggest you speak with your local dealer about your car and see if they could recommend someone to come and help.  You could also contact your local car club and find someone.  This will expedite the process, provide you with some education, make a friend and limit the frustration. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bigfoot

I'm wondering if the "click" you heard was your starter solenoid?
Even if that sh!t the bed it wouldn't explain the rest but that might be the place to begin.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bigfoot on October 07, 2019, 09:18:02 AM
I'm wondering if the "click" you heard was your starter solenoid?
Even if that sh!t the bed it wouldn't explain the rest but that might be the place to begin.

If the battery is good, you need to eliminate the starter solenoid first. Then the starter switch. Then the starter, in that order.

Clean all the terminals on the solenoid.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bill

Quote from: 1969shelbygt350 on October 06, 2019, 08:52:01 PM
Thx

Your battery charger may show the battery charged, but that does not mean the battery is good. Have you tried another battery?

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

shelbydoug

Thx

If the engine isn't running then there is no alternator output so that shows as a bad condition. You can't test the alternator output until the engine is running.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

Thx

At this point (may or may not be a secondary issue) the alternator is not the focus.  Your engine will run with out an alternator.

Like a river - follow the source of electricity from the source to the starter - checking and confirming as you go.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

1969shelbygt350

Battery ok
Solenoid ok
Cables are ok

Now I will test the start switch to solenoid. If there is current there.

Is it corrected? Wife tried to start the starter switch and I tested the "S" on the selenium!
Please advise.

Thx

J_Speegle

Quote from: 1969shelbygt350 on October 07, 2019, 08:12:32 PM
Battery ok
Solenoid ok
Cables are ok

So all connections are tight and power passes from each post to the cable?

How did you test the solenoid and what took place when you bypassed it?

Checking the power to the solenoid is a quick and easy test - holding the key to the start - not run- position. If this causes you to get a clicking noise earlier as you reported, it's likely getting juice

If you have done all the other tests correctly either there is an issue with the starter or the engine is frozen/locked up

1969shelbygt350

I think it is neutral safety switch!

Where is it on 69 auto? Looked over the linkage but didn't see it.

Thx

J_Speegle

Quote from: 1969shelbygt350 on October 08, 2019, 04:03:00 PM
I think it is neutral safety switch!

Not sure how you got to that conclusion since the earlier suggested tests would have bypassed it. East to eliminate/bypass it at the wire loom in the engine compartment

Quote from: 1969shelbygt350 on October 08, 2019, 04:03:00 PMWhere is it on 69 auto? Looked over the linkage but didn't see it.

If you have a GT500 here is an example

1969shelbygt350

I manually bridged the selenoid. Not sure but this is next one in the path!

Thx

1969shelbygt350