Author Topic: When a pinched nerve isn’t so bad…  (Read 4803 times)

hurlbird

• View Profile
When a pinched nerve isn’t so bad…
« on: October 11, 2019, 10:23:53 AM »
While making repairs to my 68 Pontiac I apparently pinched a nerve in my neck which put me out of commission for many months. Last month my wife and I had plans for a northern New England early Chevy cruise with our 38 and so I wanted to have the car hauler in tip top shape, specifically the bearings packed and the brakes checked. Due to my neck issues I cannot do it myself. I contacted the local repair shop (I live in a very small New England town) to see if they could handle my trailer. They could. So I drive it down and drop it off. This is a very small shop and as I walked past the cars to be serviced among them is a 1968 Shelby 350 convertible. Blue with a white top. Stopped dead in my tracks I took a closer look. The car appeared to be untouched other than the paint and yes it is a 4 speed. I go into the office and express my astonishment to them and they too express theirs. They also tell me it belongs to the original owner who is looking to sell it. hmmmmmmm

I leave my name and number and go about my business. The trailer is ready in a few days and the car is still sitting there. Exposed to the elements and souvenir hunters should there be any. I pick the trailer up and find out she never gave my name to the owner but she gives me his. I call him and leave a message. The wife and I go on our trip and have a great time.

We are almost home with the trailer and I get the call. A very old voice on the other end answers some questions for me and I realize that I cannot make a reasonable offer for the car as I don’t have disposable cash close to what he has been offered. He also tells me he replaced the motor in 1970 as it was recommended by the dealer to be cheaper than repairing the original. Bummer. So I move from discussing money and begin to express my concern about the car sitting out there unsecured and put him in touch with someone I know can repair it for him appropriately (3rd gear issue) and offer my garage for storage until he decides what to do. He lives in the town next to me. I tell him that my wife and I care for and drive our classic cars we are not collectors. He tells me he was a Vietnam pilot and bought the car while in the service. His family has treasured the car he calls “Jet” but now at 80 they are downsizing and liquidating some assets. He asks what I might offer and I tell him what my insulting capability might be. Way off from what he has been offered but he tells me to check it out and then come back with a new offer if I like what I see.
Back to the station I go that weekend, take a really close look notice a few things like pot metal issues, broken interior mirror, wrong air cleaner and nit-picky bits and pieces.  I check with the Shelby registry and confirm it’s the real thing although you could see it obviously. I know I won’t own the car but think it will be helpful for him to understand the current state so he can sell it realistically. While looking at the car I realize this is a time capsule including the 1969 parking sticker on the bumper. The car also has bumperettes on the front and back I assume are not correct? He installed a power antenna and some speakers were installed in the back panel. However the top, exhaust, carpet, dash etc  are all original, little rust, 61K miles, the car is amazing and runs great. 

I call him back after my evaluation we talk more about how I would care for it and I offer him $5K less than my original insult. He agrees to discuss it with his wife and will call back in a week. I told him I was traveling; I apologized for the offer and said please let me know in the next few days as I will be gone. He calls back that evening with his wife on the phone and they agree to my offer! They want the car cared for not in a collection somewhere. We agree to do the transaction in two days. I tell my son the story who rightfully sets my expectations that between now and then he will change his mind and the deal will not be done.

So now I am the owner of a 1968 Shelby Convertible. I cannot believe it sometimes. The previous owners came to my house to see where it would be stored to ensure it is in good hands. They didn’t need the money but wanted to see the car well cared for as they have an emotional attachment. I’m trying to learn as much about the car as I can and intend to do a preservation not restoration and guidance in this area will be appreciated.
I recognize this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I am just happy I had to take my trailer in for service which I guess means I am happy I pinched a nerve in my neck? :0)

Cobrabob

• View Profile
Re: When a pinched nerve isn’t so bad…
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 10:34:54 AM »
Great story! Enjoy!

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 10:45:14 AM »
Great story, congrats!

As to preservation or restoration, it depends on the overall condition of the car. 

In regards to the motor, try quizzing the previous owner and find out where the engine swap was done.  It would be a long shot, but never know if the motor might be sitting in the back of an old repair shop somewhere.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 11:10:24 AM »
Feel free to email anytime

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com

www.thecoralsnake.com

Might be if some interest to you. You can find some 1968 info there...

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 12:51:56 PM »
Congratulations!  It's restorative to the spirit to hear a car-guy kind of dream is still happening.
Tom Kubler
6S296

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 01:00:24 PM »
thanks very excited.. will email Coral Snake

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 01:25:15 PM »
Feel free to email anytime

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com

www.thecoralsnake.com

Might be if some interest to you. You can find some 1968 info there...

That's the understatement of the year!
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 02:12:17 PM »
Fantastic story! Interesting how seeming negatives can be changed into positives.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 02:41:55 PM »
deathsled.. funny you say that. I've been alive long enough to have some bad things happen to me. All of which led to positive outcomes and so came to accept misfortune with a level of optimism as bizarre as that sounds. When I injured my neck I said to the wife what possible good thing could come of this?! I couldn't image what but sure enough if you look hard enough you can find it.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 03:19:19 PM »
Congrats!  And, to echo what you and others have said:  it's amazing what good can come out of what seems like a disaster / hard times. 
Nothing beats a classic!

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 04:59:51 PM »
Congratulations to you and the seller.  Obviously, both you and he are kindred spirits and of great character.  As many of us know, we don't really "own" these cars, we're just their current caretakers.
5S071, 6S1467

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 06:10:33 PM »
Unless we horribly wreck them. (My dark side comes out.)
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 08:24:40 PM »
Photos would be very cool!!

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 09:31:18 PM »
Happened to the dad of a friend of mine. He's out walking in the neighborhood and spots a 340 America just sitting. Strikes up a conversation and finds out it was raced in Mexico by the McAfee brothers. Over they years he sees him every couple months and they talk cars. One day he stops by and the wife says he died. She asks him if he'd like the car. He says can't afford it but I'll help you sell if. She says no he wanted you to have it for what he paid $5,000. He eventually restored and sold it when he retired. His biggest restoration decision was to leave the little scoops the McAfees had put in the rear fenders mid race with an ax to cool the rear tires.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 07:35:05 AM »
Great read and it goes to show it isn't always about the $ for a true enthusiast. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1