News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

R model/drag headers

Started by TLea, February 22, 2018, 07:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLea

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 22, 2023, 07:41:59 AM
Quote from: TLea on January 21, 2023, 05:08:52 PM

Those were the headers that you had made, right?

I don't remember you ever posting pictures of them here? Can you or at least post the link to them? Are they 1-3/4" primaries? 2"? Equal length? Header nerds need to know? Ooops! That's me!  ::)
Yes and pictures were never posted. Regarding tube size/length please refer back to my original post saying they are exactly like the originals 100%. Not made for header nerds but made for those who are trying to restore in our model, Trans Am or  cobra back to exactly the way it was

shelbydoug

Quote from: TLea on January 22, 2023, 09:35:36 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on January 22, 2023, 07:41:59 AM
Quote from: TLea on January 21, 2023, 05:08:52 PM

Those were the headers that you had made, right?

I don't remember you ever posting pictures of them here? Can you or at least post the link to them? Are they 1-3/4" primaries? 2"? Equal length? Header nerds need to know? Ooops! That's me!  ::)
Yes and pictures were never posted. Regarding tube size/length please refer back to my original post saying they are exactly like the originals 100%. Not made for header nerds but made for those who are trying to restore in our model, Trans Am or  cobra back to exactly the way it was

:(

I am sad that I do not qualify for access to that information. Bummer.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Vernon Estes

Quote from: camp upshur on January 21, 2023, 03:02:24 PM

https://historicdb.fia.com/sites/default/files/car_attachment/1601034601/homologation_form_number_191_group_gt.pdf

FYI, these are the FIA homologation forms...I have the original SCCA forms which were done considerably earlier than these. Only throwing that out there for clarification so as to not confuse the two. They do share one of the same pics of the prototype tri-ys (although mine is not a photocopy, its an original so its crystal clear and detailed) but otherwise the forms have very little in common.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

camp upshur

Considerably earlier?
This FIA submission is dated February 9, 1965.
The debut of the R model was February 14, 1965 at Green Valley.
It pre-dates the introduction of the R model as a race car.

Intent is to get usable docs available to fellow owner/enthusiasts.
Still trying to figure out what the aforementioned 'mystery headers' look like ;)

Steve A
5S339

shelbydoug

Quote from: camp upshur on January 23, 2023, 12:38:52 AM

Still trying to figure out what the aforementioned 'mystery headers' look like ;)

Steve A
5S339

That information is proprietary...still.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Vernon Estes

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 23, 2023, 07:43:11 AM

Steve A
5S339

That information is proprietary...still.

They are pictured in the posted FIA papers as I said above. When I get a second I can upload a better picture.

Vern

Vernon Estes

Considerably earlier?
This FIA submission is dated February 9, 1965.
The debut of the R model was February 14, 1965 at Green Valley.
It pre-dates the introduction of the R model as a race car.

Intent is to get usable docs available to fellow owner/enthusiasts.

Steve A
5S339

Obviously I am a little slow here but I thought I said above that they were the same as the picture present in the FIA papers at the link above.

In terms of dates...yea, the SCCA certs are what I would call "considerably earlier" in the timeline of the GT350. The certs themselves are undated, however, they were done using a 1964 SCCA Production Category Recognition Form which with the "1964" "XXXXd" and "1965" typed above that. Further, a hand signed letter from Ray Geddes at FoMoCo  tp Carroll Shelby at the 1042 address giving Ford's formalized approval of the "Cobra Mustang" program and as well as a letter from Carroll Shelby were sent with these forms to James Kaiser at the CT office of the SCCA. The letters are dated Oct 5th and 6th of 1964 respectively.

Clearer pic below of the prototype tri-ys....they are funky and cool for sure.

Kind regards,
Vern

PS- Shelby American initially wanted to put cowl induction on the new "Cobra Mustang"....just throwing that out there for any of you who are still reading  ;)