News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67-8 Instrument cluster

Started by shelbydoug, October 27, 2019, 08:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

I was just working on my cluster and it never occured to me (that I recall) that the mounting posts and the sensor connections to the gauges are the same (fuel & temp). Can someone explain to me how that design works without grounding those gauges out?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

No clock?

I think those gauges are groundwd through the harness?
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 27, 2019, 10:03:33 AM
No clock?

I think those gauges are groundwd through the harness?

No clock. Vacuum gauge. Who cares what time it is? Dam thing never worked right anyway.

I still don't understand how the gauges work without grounding out the way they are mounted.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Chris Thauberger

The two mounting posts are the positive and negative connections for the gauge.

Current from the sender passes through a resistor that wraps around bimetallic strip. The bimetallic strip is hooked up to the needle of the gauge through a linkage.

The bimetallic strip is a piece of metal made by laminating two different types of metal together. The metals that make up the strip expand and contract when they are heated or cooled. Each type of metal has its own rate of expansion. The two metals that make up the strip are chosen so that the rates of expansion and contraction are different.

As more current passes through the heating coil, the bimetallic strip heats. As the strip heats, it deforms pulling the gauge from left to right.

Pictures below are of an oil pressure gauge but is the same basic design as fuel and temp. Bimetallic strip is highlighted in yellow.

Notice the shape of the bimetallic strip in the first and last sets of pictures.

Chris
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

shelbydoug

Thank you for the explanation of the gauges operation but if both posts are connected by grounding them through the case, how is there a positive and negative terminal.

Your illustration shows how I would understand the gauge to function but those terminals are also used to mount the gauges to the the instrument panel and have no insulators to keep them from grounding.

Look at how they are mounted. :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

68stangcjfb

That rectangular strip under the nuts is an insulator. If I remember correctly, there is another one between the gauge and the housing on the other side to keep the gauge from touching it.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Isn't the bezel/panel non-conductive plastic?

68stangcjfb

Yes. But the rear cluster housing that holds all the gauges and lights is metal.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Quote from: 68stangcjfb on October 27, 2019, 07:36:44 PM
Yes. But the rear cluster housing that holds all the gauges and lights is metal.

Ah, should have reread the original post

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: shelbydoug on October 27, 2019, 07:03:44 PM
Thank you for the explanation of the gauges operation but if both posts are connected by grounding them through the case, how is there a positive and negative terminal.

Your illustration shows how I would understand the gauge to function but those terminals are also used to mount the gauges to the the instrument panel and have no insulators to keep them from grounding.

Look at how they are mounted. :o

Look closer

Quote from: 68stangcjfb on October 27, 2019, 07:30:59 PM
That rectangular strip under the nuts is an insulator. If I remember correctly, there is another one between the gauge and the housing on the other side to keep the gauge from touching it.

Correct-a-mundo.

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

shelbydoug

That doesn't insulate the stud where it passes through the metal housing. The studs should have insulating bushings on them and they don't.

That's alright. You are just confirming that the studs should not be able to ground out to the housing.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

68stangcjfb

Take the nuts off. You will see a big rectangular cutout under the insulator. The studs cant come anywhere near the housing.