News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1968 Shelby trunk light

Started by Corey Bowcutt, February 26, 2018, 01:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

In cleaning up my trunk this past weekend I got my trunk light functioning.  It works just the way it is supposed to but I can not figure out how.  Going in I did not know what made the light turn on and off because there is not visible switch like you see in the door to turn the light on when the trunk is opened.  However the light is on when the trunk is opened and when you get it about half closed it turns off.  Where is the switch located that is doing this?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on February 26, 2018, 01:00:02 PM
In cleaning up my trunk this past weekend I got my trunk light functioning.  It works just the way it is supposed to but I can not figure out how.  Going in I did not know what made the light turn on and off because there is not visible switch like you see in the door to turn the light on when the trunk is opened.  However the light is on when the trunk is opened and when you get it about half closed it turns off.  Where is the switch located that is doing this?
It is called a Mercury switch. Liquid Mercury which is conductive flows across contact points to make a connection when the lid is up .When the lid is down the Mercury flows away from one of the leads breaking the electrical contact. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Corey Bowcutt

Bob,

Thank you.  I wondered if it was something like that, I was just not sure they used such a thing in 68.  Well that is awesome I hate when I cannot understand why something is doing what it is doing even though it is doing it correctly.

Corey