News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

How long are you planning on keeping your favorite Shelby product?

Started by Side-Oilers, November 13, 2019, 02:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Side-Oilers

As a side note to the "Why Car Museums are Closing" commentary, I thought it'd be interesting to hear what peoples' timelines are for keeping or selling their one most-beloved Shelby product.

Would you ever sell your favorite ride?

If so, when are you planning to sell it? 

What kind of life change would prompt/force you to part with it?

For me, that's my KR.  There is nothing (aside from the microscopically small chance of being offered crazy money for it) that would get me to sell it. If the economy completely tanks and I'm forced to sell my house and cars, I would literally go live in a one-bedroom apartment in order to keep the KR. We've been through a lot together, and I'm not letting it go without a fight.

Also, I believe that having a fast, fun, cool looking car not only helps keep me feeling young(ish), but also limber enough to crawl in and work the four-speed, manual steering and brakes, and sustain enough muscle mass to withstand the accelerative g-forces.  (A car guy's workout!)

But even if I get too old and senile to drive, I hopefully can still push my walker close enough to open the car door and look inside, smell the easily-identifiable aroma of a vintage muscle car, and remember when there was race gas, burnouts, power shifts and fast laps. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

I plan on keeping mine until after the funeral. Then the wife will have to deal with
Owner since 1971 just a few miles short of 240,000
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

CSX 4133

I'm grooming grandkids to someday take possession by involving them in the care, maintenance and learning to drive these cars.   :) To answer the question on how long.....
until I can't anymore.

FL SAAC

No intentions on selling, they bring us to a different time and place. Looking for the next one.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

TOBKOB

Till death do us part... I have 4 young grandchildren (6 months through 4 years) and I can't afford to leave them all a Shelby but I have 4 Model A's and each will receive one when I die. My wife and son will have to decide who gets the Shelby ( maybe they will draw straws)... ;D

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

67 GT350

AOC and Gretta say the world will end in 12 or so years.....eh! I will gamble and just keep them all! They are just puppets dummies. Hey, that would make a good band name, "The Puppet Dummies"
RARE  Signature Delete

Rocket

Bought it in 1967, and have no plans to sell it.  If things got really bad, I guess I would sell it, but only after every other thing was sold. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

Last thing I would sell besides my house..My 16 yr. old son wants it(but I suspect he has "ulterior motives")..Well it would make a VERY attractive tombstone I suppose... :'(

Don Johnston

As long as I am able to drive it.  There have been a few droolers that would like it and might be able to come up with the proper funds when the decision is made.  It is not going to the kids as I am sure they would rather have the money, if it were to be given to them.  Then there is the issue of all the shelves and walls of  Shelby stuf that at some some level may look like more of a hoarders illness than a collectors dream. 8)

6972boss

Til death do us part! I used to dream of having a 67 gt500. But they were crazy expensive for a 12YO,  :D. Walls were covered with magazine pictures. Didn't know how I would ever afford one until that"one day" when it fell In my lap and it was within my budget.  Havnt looked back since! I have no kids and my nephews and nieces could care less about old cars.  I told my wife that when I go horizontal to sell both mach 1s, the Boss 351 and Shelby and donate all proceeds to our favorite charities. No arguments over money that way!

Bigfoot

Quote from: CSX 4133 on November 13, 2019, 02:55:58 PM

I'm grooming grandkids to someday take possession by involving them in the care, maintenance and learning to drive these cars.   :) To answer the question on how long.....
until I can't anymore.

^^
This
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

gt350hr

Since I shot my mouth off about this on that thread , I don't have any kids or family to leave it to so I will probably sell mine when I feel like it. I'm not going to rush into it as I have had it for 45 years already. The history of mine is in drag racing and it will stay that way as long as I own it. I'm sure it is the longest continuously drag raced GT350 ( if not SAI vehicle) ever. IF and when I do turn it out , it will be to someone who appreciates that , not by how much they can flip it for , or someone who wants a day one car.
    Might be a tough sell , LOL Oh well .
       Randy

Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

hertzdonut

We've enjoyed our Hertz car since 1987. I've endured back problems for the last 5 years, including surgery. Last year I thought we should consider selling, but I wanted to attend one more SAAC Convention and drove over 600 miles to PIRC. To prepare I had some work done (radiator, clutch release bearing) elsewhere as I can't do this anymore. After she was gone a week I couldn't stand it. I had to go see it while it was worked on. I went twice. There is no way I can be without this piece of my life. My children have no interest in any car, let alone a Shelby, so Susan will sell her when I leave this life. 
It's a blessing and a curse, but a good one!
Terry     6S555

67 GT350

Quote from: gt350hr on November 13, 2019, 05:17:50 PM
    Since I shot my mouth off about this on that thread , I don't have any kids or family to leave it to so I will probably sell mine when I feel like it. I'm not going to rush into it as I have had it for 45 years already. The history of mine is in drag racing and it will stay that way as long as I own it. I'm sure it is the longest continuously drag raced GT350 ( if not SAI vehicle) ever. IF and when I do turn it out , it will be to someone who appreciates that , not by how much they can flip it for , or someone who wants a day one car.
    Might be a tough sell , LOL Oh well .
       Randy

I HATE PEOPLE THAT EVEN THINK ABOUT FLIPPING....that is why interest is lost.
RARE  Signature Delete

Sixx7shelby

My kids are already calling dibs on the cars..... hopefully they will stay in the family For a long long time!
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO