Author Topic: Ford v Ferrari: "Official Museum" exhibit and Demonstration Day x 4  (Read 2985 times)

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
According to the good Doctor, the Simeone Foundation Museum (Philly) has been recognized as the Official Museum of the new Movie.
The Museum will have special exhibit (11-15 now extended thru 2-16-20) devoted to the resident cars "related to" the movie as well as a Demonstration Day on 11/23/19 featuring those cars. Info copied and pasted from website. Hope to see you there  8)

"After you see the film, discover the true history behind the legendary rivalry. Ford v Ferrari, the Official Exhibition will expand on the story told in the soon-to-be blockbuster film. Developed in cooperation with 20th Century Fox, this exhibition will feature props from the film and some of our favorite stars from the film, the cars behind the story. Featured exhibition cars will include:
1958 Aston Martin DBR1
1959 Ferrari 250 GT Interim Berlinetta
1963 Ferrari 250P
196? Ferrari 365P (guest)
1964 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe
1965 Shelby Cobra 289 Roadster
1966 Ford GT40 MK II
1967 Ford GT40 MK IV"

and
"To celebrate the opening of the movie Ford v Ferrari and our Ford v Ferrari temporary exhibition, we are changing our final demo day from our tradition of voting for your favorite collection cars to one more in line with the opening of the film. Saturday, November 23rd will now include most of the cars featured in the above exhibition"

https://www.simeonemuseum.org/

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:09:41 PM by mark p »
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ford v Ferrari: "Official Museum" exhibit and Demonstration Day x 4
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 12:17:55 PM »
After the record-setting attendance at the Movie's first Demo Day - the Museum has extended the exhibit thru Jan 5, and added 3 more Demonstration Days to "drill down" further into the [subjects of] the Movie:
Dec 7, 2019: Developing the GT[40]
Dec 14, 2019: Shelby’s Odyssey
Dec 21, 2019: Le Mans 1966
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 12:24:33 PM »
Great museum - good to hear.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 10:08:17 AM »
Here are a couple of photos at the first 2 demonstration days.
(If anyone looking doesn't already know, the yellow MkII is one of the Alan Mann 1966 entries, and is part of the Museum Collection. It has a fantastic sound  8))
The 1966 Ferrari 365P is a special guest for this Exhibit, the car ran at LeMans in '65 and '66. Photo by Museum photographer Andrew Taylor.

IIRC, the 1963 Ferrari 250P is the car that won LeMans in '63 (Owned by Chinetti)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 06:51:56 PM by mark p »

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 07:15:55 PM »
Here are a couple of pix from the Exhibit /Display. Apparently the "costumes" from the Movie had to go back to Fox, but the signed poster remains.
The DBR1 (sister car to the Shelby/Salvadori winner) was out in the main space for the demonstration today when I took these pix.
Kevin (museum curator) drove the Mk II around the back lot in the rain...  looked a little "loose"  ???

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 12:23:13 AM »
Amazing collection of cars, and great that they fire them up and drive them around for all to see moving, hear and smell.

thanks for posting.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 11:50:02 AM »
Amazing collection of cars, and great that they fire them up and drive them around for all to see moving, hear and smell.

thanks for posting.

Thanks for noticing  :)
The attendees insisted on hearing the the Coupe and the DBR1. even though they were not going out to be driven in the rain... I'm as big-time V8 fan - but have to agree with the Museum guys that the Aston-Martin has a fantastic sound as well  8) it has three side-draft Webers and a pair of 3-to-1 pipes.

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 06:50:54 PM »
The"Movie" series of Demonstration Days wrapped up today... not sure that I could ever get tired of seeing and hearing the Mk II run around the back lot  8)
One of the family (owners) was driving the Ferrari 365P... so probably a little more liberal with the throttle application - sweet V12 sounds.