Author Topic: Which to use? Original to car,dated windshield w/flaws or repo?  (Read 2917 times)

Rukiddin

• View Profile
Which to use? Original to car,dated windshield w/flaws or repo?
« on: November 16, 2019, 07:47:56 PM »
Not Restoring to compete in shows,but trying to preserve my ‘68 GT 350 convertible instead of replacing everything with new/repo just to be “pretty”,for lack of better description. New ,correct paint,top and mechanicals. Original seats,(very,very nice,not perfect)and many NOS Ford parts when needed. All other glass is very nice and will be re-used. I just spent many hours cleaning,buffing the original windshield to about 85%....not perfect,but every mile this car has racked up was with this glass....am I nuts to keep it? Every time I replace an original part with repo I feel I have cheated the car....crazy,I know.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
Re: Which to use? Original to car,dated windshield w/flaws or repo?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 08:20:40 PM »
Original for sure based on ur description.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 08:25:43 PM »
Not Restoring to compete in shows,but trying to preserve my ‘68 GT 350 convertible instead of replacing everything with new/repo just to be “pretty”,for lack of better description. New ,correct paint,top and mechanicals. Original seats,(very,very nice,not perfect)and many NOS Ford parts when needed. All other glass is very nice and will be re-used. I just spent many hours cleaning,buffing the original windshield to about 85%....not perfect,but every mile this car has racked up was with this glass....am I nuts to keep it? Every time I replace an original part with repo I feel I have cheated the car....crazy,I know.
If you have already replaced many parts with repro ,new paint ,top, mechanicals etc. then it is not a survivor car so don't feel bad when you replace a less then perfect windshield which may be also be a safety issue with a repro . FYI you can have the proper trademark and date code placed on the repro glass.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 09:39:39 PM »
How many Shelby’s of that vintage still have the original windshield in presentable condition? You are not replacing any of the other glass, I would definitely use the original windshield. If it ever bothers you later you can always replace it with a new unit and save the original. Personally, I’m all about keeping as many original parts as possible on the car, They can always be updated or replaced as needed at a later date. Just my opinion.
Karl
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 09:41:44 PM by Karguy »
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

6s2020

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 09:56:29 PM »
How many Shelby’s of that vintage still have the original windshield in presentable condition? You are not replacing any of the other glass, I would definitely use the original windshield. If it ever bothers you later you can always replace it with a new unit and save the original. Personally, I’m all about keeping as many original parts as possible on the car, They can always be updated or replaced as needed at a later date. Just my opinion.
Karl

+1 ^^^^^

6S2020 still has her all original glass including wind shield, i would rather less than perfect original than repro any day.

And repro date codes is a no-no for me on any part for me

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 08:06:10 AM »
Show us some photos, we like photos ;)

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 10:06:59 AM »
Some repo windshields are not as thick as originals.

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 02:15:28 PM »
This original windshield is .300 thick. So far,most of my polishing has made a huge difference. Some spots are harder to remove and I believe it is from hard water drying in the sun......
Lots of elbow grease and buffer time but I am going with the ORIGINAL glass!

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 03:09:48 PM »
Photos of the whole car, even if in resto prep ;)

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 04:09:08 PM »
Some repo windshields are not as thick as originals.

Yes,and I have an original dated 6F that is .200 in. And an original 7D that is .300 in

Just how thin are the repo ones? A friend of mine picked up his repo and said it was VERY light compared to his original...

Are early,pre ‘67,different thickness than later?

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 04:21:30 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if the thinner repo glass was stronger.

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 10:41:55 AM »
This original windshield is .300 thick. So far,most of my polishing has made a huge difference. Some spots are harder to remove and I believe it is from hard water drying in the sun......
Lots of elbow grease and buffer time but I am going with the ORIGINAL glass!

I'm afraid that, after all your effort in preserving the original glass, is that you will find areas of optical blemishes.  Eventually it will drive you nuts.  You will wish you replaced the glass the first time.  Try looking out of the glass from the drivers seat and I'm sure you wll see what I mean.  Either way, good luck.