News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT 350 (Early 10/66) VIN Plate Rivets

Started by DGSOH, February 25, 2018, 06:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGSOH

What do I need to know about these? From what I can tell from around the web the '67(s) should have black rivets, does this include early cars? They're the same as the tail light rivets?

Thanks -

DGSOH

JD

Quote from: DGSOH on February 25, 2018, 06:27:33 AM
What do I need to know about these? From what I can tell from around the web the '67(s) should have black rivets, does this include early cars? They're the same as the tail light rivets?

Thanks -

DGSOH

Yes  to all. AMK sells them, AMK resellers may too.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on February 25, 2018, 10:00:13 AM
Quote from: DGSOH on February 25, 2018, 06:27:33 AM

Thanks -

DGSOH

Yes  to all. AMK sells them, AMK resellers may too.
The early cars typically had the silver rivets as evidence on some early cars unrestored cars and vintage photo's(#0050) . I don't know when the change to the black rivets happened but probably not too many before it did. For sure not any later then when rivets were used on the tail panel.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

DGSOH

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 25, 2018, 04:52:17 PM
The early cars typically had the silver rivets as evidence on some early cars unrestored cars and vintage photo's(#0050) . I don't know when the change to the black rivets happened but probably not too many before it did. For sure not any later then when rivets were used on the tail panel.
So if I understand correctly, the VIN plate rivets on an early car might or might not be black depending on how early? My car, #0066, has a SA completion date 8 days after #0050, can I assume (dangerous I know) it falls in the might/might not category?

When acquired the car did not have black rivets but I have no reason to believe the plate had never been off. The engine compartment had been "detailed" with no discernable evidence the plate had been masked off.

Thanks.

BGlover67

Never minding color, I've been told that the original rivets used were much different then the ones we all typically use today.  Does anyone have a picture of an original set on a VIN plate?  Do these look original? 

Higher Res:  https://imageshack.com/i/pmyFLRa5j

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

capecodmustang.com

I've had 8-9 double digit 67's....

Silver rivets have been consistent...

I came across a double digit 67 that's been sitting since the 1970's about a month ago...
It was untouched and had silver rivets

BGlover67

Thanks Bret,  your first hand experience with double digits goes a long way in my book.

Brian
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Richstang

Great question!

I've seen silver rivets on cars with original plates well into the upper 100's that didn't appear to be touched.
What's the current thought for when they were switched to black rivets?
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

67411F--0100-ENG.

Hello Everyone,

Here are original photos of the serial number plates and pop rivets on cars 0050, 0100, and 0173.

Thanks,
Eric

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BGlover67 on February 26, 2018, 06:55:12 AM
Never minding color, I've been told that the original rivets used were much different then the ones we all typically use today.  Does anyone have a picture of an original set on a VIN plate?  Do these look original? 

Higher Res:  https://imageshack.com/i/pmyFLRa5j
I wonder if your source confused 65/66 vs 67 ? Hopefully the original rivets secured to plates that have already been posted will give comparison insight.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

BGlover67

Thanks Eric. Once again Bob was right, (Thanks Bob), but you sealed the deal.  I guess all that CSI you watched didn't go to waste.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

DGSOH

DGSOH

I thought I was done with this, seriously, sorry to be a pest...

Given AMK doesn't seem to list a non-black '67 Shelby VIN plate rivet, what would be the guidance here for same: any old aluminum pop rivet off the street that's of similar size and utility and just be done with it (what would that be by the way) or are there any characteristics I should be looking for in a modern pop rivet that most closely matches the original? I'm assuming the correct rivet would be aluminum either way yes?

btw - For those interested the AMK black rivet is: F-3310 | VEHICLE ID PLATE (SHELBY) | BLACK BLIND RIVETS.

Thanks -

DGSOH

DGSOH

One question that never seemed to get answered - is the non-black rivet aluminum or steel?

Thanks