Author Topic: Door pull cups  (Read 1239 times)

aj

• View Profile
Door pull cups
« on: November 23, 2019, 06:59:45 PM »
What are opinions of repop door pull cups vs original ?  Both mine are busted at the typical weak spot. Wonder if repops might be equal or better than original (durability wise).  If not I’ll chase down some originals.   >edit> I now understand the difference length between 69 and 70 pull cups.

I’m soon sending door panels to Gene Painter and want to send a good set of pulls.  So looking for advice.

Thanks
Adrian
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 09:41:50 PM by aj »

CSX4781

• View Profile
Re: Door pull cups
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 08:39:10 PM »
AJ,
  There are metal and plastic repros out there. I went with the metal ones that Brant sells at VA Mustang, they fit pretty well, and were already painted (mine are white). I installed them in repro door panels (Mustang Mart brand, I bought from Tony Branda, I think VA Mustang handles these as well). I haven't actually used them yet (my 69 GT350 convertible is in a million pieces), but the p[ulls seem as thick as the originals, at least no worse. As for the 69 vs 70, I think the difference is in the length of the pulls, and the door panels are different between 69 and 70 as well (I'm not certain whether or not this was a mid year change that would have affected later 69 (and 70) Shelbys, but maybe someone can clarify this). Hope this helps.

Dave

Doug B

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Door pull cups
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 10:26:51 PM »
Adrian,

I replaced the original broken door pull on the drivers side with a Scott Drake repro earlier this year. It matches the passenger side in terms of color and quality and has held up well since. Admittedly, I've been closing the door rather gingerly since....

Doug
69 Shelby GT350 #0170 Fastback 4spd non-A/C
07 Shelby GT500 #4022