News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Restoring a Shelby (003) as a Mustang....Why?

Started by 6s2020, November 24, 2019, 01:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Quote from: 6s1640 on November 25, 2019, 12:24:00 PM
Along this theme, you could build a display of all the modification pieces next to the car, similar to the magazine article back in the day, showing what parts will make up the 65 GT350.  IIRC, the article was in Road & Track.  Have you seen that image?  Very cool.  I will try to find if someone else does not beat me.

This one Cory?

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1640

Quote from: J_Speegle on November 25, 2019, 01:20:28 PM
Quote from: 6s1640 on November 25, 2019, 12:24:00 PM
Along this theme, you could build a display of all the modification pieces next to the car, similar to the magazine article back in the day, showing what parts will make up the 65 GT350.  IIRC, the article was in Road & Track.  Have you seen that image?  Very cool.  I will try to find if someone else does not beat me.

This one Cory?

Hi Jeff,  You are on the right track.  The image I remember was all the pieces laid out on the ground in their approximate location to the car.  Mark Hovander made an attempt years ago to recreate with 5S284 when it was all apart at the Bellevue Community College (at the time, now a university) Mustang Round Up.  I will have to look for the image tonight.

Take care

Cory

silverton_ford

Quote from: 6s1640 on November 25, 2019, 02:17:35 PM

Hi Jeff,  You are on the right track.  The image I remember was all the pieces laid out on the ground in their approximate location to the car.  Mark Hovander made an attempt years ago to recreate with 5S284 when it was all apart at the Bellevue Community College (at the time, now a university) Mustang Round Up.  I will have to look for the image tonight.

Take care

Cory

Cory, some of those photos are on the WASAAC page.   http://wasaac.org/gallery/events/roundup.html

CharlesTurner

We will make it a point to lay out the parts the same, will be really cool to recreate that!
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Richstang

That would be really nice to see with the car in the SJ build layout.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Richstang on November 25, 2019, 02:37:26 PM

We'll do it just like that!
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

NC TRACKRAT

As an aside, I'm looking but can't find the driveshaft loop. Did they leave it out of the picture or was it added after the picture was taken?
5S071, 6S1467

6s1640

Hi Richstang,  That's it.  Was it Road and Track?

Thanks for finding.

Cory

J_Speegle

Quote from: 6s1640 on November 25, 2019, 02:17:35 PM

We discussed at one point maybe using one of the plastic fake engine blocks to mock up the engine related parts and hold them for a display. Sure Nick and Charles will figure out how best to use this opportunity (From factory Ford configuration to Shelby) to best highlight the parts and process. Would normally say you only get to make the choices once but as this car and owners have displayed sometimes it more than a single opportunity. 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

Quote from: 6s1640 on November 25, 2019, 03:04:44 PM

Hi Richstang,  That's it.  Was it Road and Track?

Thanks for finding.

Cory

Took me a while to find the source. (I did not have the magazine.) That small photo of the '65 parts layout was in the August '65 Hot Rod issue.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Greg

I thought SA also changed the transmission for a T10M, did Ford do that?
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

SFM5S000

There's actually an error in the parts layout (previous reply #49) in Richstang's attached photo. If you look closely you'll notice two (2) passenger side Override Traction Bar Covers. That was probably an oversite when the pulled the components together for the photo. Leave it to me to catch that one.
Hopefully when Charles attempts to reproduce the image he does it correctly. Or would it be correct to do it incorrectly based on the original photo?

Cheers
~Earl J

CharlesTurner

003 didn't have traction bar covers, just riveted inner tube around the bars.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

texas swede

To me it's more a philosophical question, what is a Shelby supposed to be:
A car when it left the Ford San Jose factory as basically all other HiPo 1965 FB's or
when it left the Shelby American factory. Personally, I think it's a waste of time and
money to do this but on the other hand a person can do whatever he likes with his own car.
Texas Swede

SFM5S000

Quote from: CharlesTurner on November 25, 2019, 10:28:23 PM
003 didn't have traction bar covers, just riveted inner tube around the bars.

My previous reply was only referring to the vintage image in reply #49, that there's a parts error in the old image. Not saying 003 had override covers or not that's all.

~E