News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Restoring a Shelby (003) as a Mustang....Why?

Started by 6s2020, November 24, 2019, 01:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Good grief Charlie Brown !

The answer is truly simple, because he can and he wants to give those who are interested the opportunity to see the first mustang shelby in its true state.

I believe it was stated that it will be back to its shelby status soon

Then it will be one of the 500+ ( they all look the same to me and 99% of the public) cars in white and blue...let the stone flinging begin !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

BGlover67

Whether you are for the way they displayed the car or against it, you have to admit that it created much more buzz presenting it this way then if they had just completed the car and put it on display in the typical manner.   So from that perspective it was a home run.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

acman63

This was a very educational way to display the car.  Many people that have seen these cars  for 50 plus years now know what it took to modify the cars to the Shelby spec.    This car was different as it wasn't a knockdown car that had a lot of parts deleted  that were going to be changed . They didn't delete anything that would hamper the car being able to drive.   All the parts have been restored and detailed and are ready to go on when the call is made to do such. Hopefully it will be shown with all the parts displayed at least once.
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Coralsnake

I cant wait for other years to follow suit.

I would love to see a 1968...
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

+ 1 winner !

Quote from: BGlover67 on November 26, 2019, 08:25:24 AM
Whether you are for the way they displayed the car or against it, you have to admit that it created much more buzz presenting it this way then if they had just completed the car and put it on display in the typical manner.   So from that perspective it was a home run.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

+ 1 Winning

Quote from: acman63 on November 26, 2019, 09:39:40 AM
This was a very educational way to display the car.  Many people that have seen these cars  for 50 plus years now know what it took to modify the cars to the Shelby spec.    This car was different as it wasn't a knockdown car that had a lot of parts deleted  that were going to be changed . They didn't delete anything that would hamper the car being able to drive.   All the parts have been restored and detailed and are ready to go on when the call is made to do such. Hopefully it will be shown with all the parts displayed at least once.

I have all UNGOLD cars

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on November 26, 2019, 10:27:09 AM

Thought it would be a possibility for Little Red or to do a matching "as delivered from Ford" coupe for a side by side to compare one with the other.  ::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

OR1

I guess I should give you all some thoughts on 003 and what we're doing. But before I do, I need to tell you that I love this car. I feel so fortunate to have been able to work with Mark in obtaining it. Truth is, and I've toid Mark this many times, it will always be his car. All I've ever wanted is to be a good custodian for it. And I've always thought that, as the first one, it deserved to be the best. Everything we do will be towards that goal. I love Mark like a brother. I want him to respect what we're doing. Certainly, without him and all the amazing time and effort he put into researching the history we wouldn't know nearly as much about not only 003, but about all the early cars and the overall history of the GT350s. I have been very fortunate to have had so much support and guidance from members (I will probably leave somebody out, sorry for that). John Brown, Craig Conley, Tony Conover, Jim Cowles, Vern Estes, Pete Geisler, Brant Halterman, Howard Pardee (of course), Bob Perkins, Bob Gaines, Jeff Speegle, Jim Wicks, and more have been so open and giving with their knowledge. But mostly, Charles Turner has been the guiding light for keeping my dream moving forward. Lady year he caught me off guard with the concept of returning 003 to the (nearly) exact condition with which it was delivered to SA. After a lot of thought, I agreed that it was a valid step to our ultimate goal - that was to not only make 003 the very best, but to help all of the Shelby world to know as much about these cars as possible. That is what we will continue to do. We want this car to be out there for you. To me, that's what it's all about. Thanks so much to all of you. Nick S.

FL SAAC

+ 1

Quote from: OR1 on January 29, 2020, 10:32:47 PM
I guess I should give you all some thoughts on 003 and what we're doing. But before I do, I need to tell you that I love this car. I feel so fortunate to have been able to work with Mark in obtaining it. Truth is, and I've toid Mark this many times, it will always be his car. All I've ever wanted is to be a good custodian for it. And I've always thought that, as the first one, it deserved to be the best. Everything we do will be towards that goal. I love Mark like a brother. I want him to respect what we're doing. Certainly, without him and all the amazing time and effort he put into researching the history we wouldn't know nearly as much about not only 003, but about all the early cars and the overall history of the GT350s. I have been very fortunate to have had so much support and guidance from members (I will probably leave somebody out, sorry for that). John Brown, Craig Conley, Tony Conover, Jim Cowles, Vern Estes, Pete Geisler, Brant Halterman, Howard Pardee (of course), Bob Perkins, Bob Gaines, Jeff Speegle, Jim Wicks, and more have been so open and giving with their knowledge. But mostly, Charles Turner has been the guiding light for keeping my dream moving forward. Lady year he caught me off guard with the concept of returning 003 to the (nearly) exact condition with which it was delivered to SA. After a lot of thought, I agreed that it was a valid step to our ultimate goal - that was to not only make 003 the very best, but to help all of the Shelby world to know as much about these cars as possible. That is what we will continue to do. We want this car to be out there for you. To me, that's what it's all about. Thanks so much to all of you. Nick S.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Bossbill

Quote from: Coralsnake on November 26, 2019, 10:27:09 AM

Just for fun I took my 67 to Roundup as a stripped, right down to the unibody shell, in gray primer. This was over 10 years ago.
The only part Shelby in this configuration was the rollbar, side quarter holes and brake duct holes.  No other parts were displayed.
A lot of people thought this as an interesting way to display a Shelby.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx