News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

TEN Publishing killing all but three print magazines!

Started by Side-Oilers, December 06, 2019, 04:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Side-Oilers

Print has died and bitten the dust.  Only Motor Trend, Hot Rod and Four Wheeler will remain as print magazines, as a part of TEN Publishing's massive cutbacks announced today.  Very sad to see.

Posted online by David Freiburger: Today is a day we've all dreaded. With the exception of Motor Trend, Hot Rod, and Four Wheeler, TEN Publishing will cease the print products of its magazine brands. These titles will continue as web sites and social media accounts, and major investments are being made in digital, so the editors may keep their jobs to continue with that content. As a lifelong fan of print who made his career as a magazine editor, this is a devastating heartbreak of a day—but not a surprise. 19 magazines will stop being printed. This closure of print was not a decision made by the MotorTrend company. Also, this does not affect the MotorTrend app or online video.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

gt350hr

+1   I feel for the 10 Publishing employees BUT it also affects those who advertise in those magazines. Lot's of companies pay for affordable ads in magazines as opposed to visual media including the internet. They DEPEND on people seeing those ads because ( believe it or not ) NOT everybody uses the internet OR even has it. Sadly your local newspaper is in the same situation. "Progress" is inevitable , I accept that , but it still SUCKS for lots of people when it costs them their jobs.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

68countrysedan

Things aren't like they used to be.

However, while I appreciate magazines, they are physically limiting for text and photos. Besides 1 column x 1 inch tech photos, I was reading a tech story I was interested in. One photo, that I wanted to see the detail illustrated, was run down the gutter (magazine print lingo) so I couldn't see it.

At least on line, there's room for more unobstructed photos.

PS: Ford no longer sells cars in the North American market (not including Mustang and I believe the Fusion will be gone after 2020).
      America no longer shops at Sears.

Side-Oilers

The details are given here.   https://www.foliomag.com/ten-publishing-shuttering-19-print-magazines/

Automobile Magazine is dead too.

I have several friends who still work at Motor Trend. I haven't been able to contact any of them today.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

68stangcjfb

I was going to renew my subscription to Musclecar Review this weekend. My car was in it after all. But I always wondered how they make money by offering 90% off the newsstand price. I guess it was just their way of surviving but in the end it didn't work. Sorry to see some of those great titles go. I also see Mustang monthly on that list. Donald Farr obviously made a good career move by going to the MCA. I don't think Mustang Times will be discontinued anytime soon.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Don Johnston

Sad day for the waiting rooms in doctors offices. No more stacks o seven to ten year old issues of magazines for which no patient ever had a subscription but read to pass the time for the long waiting periods.

And how will Publishers Clearing House operate without all those magazine promotions and sheets of stickers?

Depressing.

427heaven

Remember the good old days when there was a pay phone and mail boxes on every corner, when the HELMS man made deliveries to your house with fresh baked goods and the milk man left a couple of cold milk jugs at the front door? When we drove for hours looking for that elusive Mustang part at a business or friends house or waited weeks for that latest magazine that the postal carriers would destroy stuffing it in the mail box. Just another step in the evolution of mankind, we adjust as usual. Improvements in technology are sometimes difficult to adjust to but like when we used to start our cars with a crank in a snowstorm, we welcomed these advancement once we figured out it would be ok.

rkm

Hey, look on the bright side! Maybe they will come back like vinyl records and I will be able to sell my huge stockpile of post 1970 paper magazines!

rkm

If any of you were looking to unload your vintage paper before the inevitable market crash I'm looking for issues of the Shelby owners association newsletters for the following months April 1972 June 1972 August 1972 October 1972 December 1972 February 1973 April 1973 June 1973 August 1973 October 1973 and December 1973 (that is misprinted as 1974).
Kim

T-Bone68

I was worried about that.  The Mustang360 site seemed to suddenly go dead early August.  Lots of great reference material on that site.  I hope they keep it up.  Jerry and the other writers were always super nice about responding to emails if you ever had questions.