News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Would you rather have a small block or a big block Shelby and why?

Started by Greg, February 26, 2018, 09:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 GT350 Vert

I've owned both. I prefer small block for a car to be driven.  Big block if you just leave it parked to look at.

My car is a B.B. and I love the torque ..drive it weekly maybe 20 miles...If  I drove more I would say s.b. For fuel reasons :D

Shelby_r_b

This thread is extremely interesting to me, as I've only ever owned (and subsequently driven) small blocks.  But, I've always wondered what it would feel like to drive a big block.  I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised at the number of people who prefer the SB to a BB.

To those who have stated the desire to have a SB versus BB...would this preference change if you had a BB that wasn't a Shelby...like a Boss 429?  Or even (gulp) a Hemi Cuda or 427 Corvette???  :D
Nothing beats a classic!

Sixx7shelby

I agree with all that was mentioned before. I grew up with my family having big blocks and was set on getting a 67 500, until I went for a few rides in a 65 350, 5R100, and 67 350. They were so impressive in power and handling my quest changed. My 67 350 is such a pleasure to drive anywhere. I drive my SCJ Eliminator around town also regularly and they are two different beasts. Big blocks for power,burnouts and cruising, small block Shelby's for aggressive fun with less heat, better handling on the twisty roads. 
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO

markboss

I drove my 69 GT500, daily for about 4 years...Numerous starters changed....Not much fun in the rain, or on those hot summer days, opening the vents was like turning on the oven..I also owned a Boss 302, and a 67 GT350 at the time...Much more fun to drive.
After I sold the 69 GT500, I never wanted a big block again.

I am surprised nobody (yet) has brought up the '69/'70 351W which in stock form was really kind of a package half way between the 289 and 428.

Of course in recent times, with head development and big inch stroker cranks, the 351W has become, arguably, the most popular Pushrod Ford platform.

427heaven

The Windsor was a non performance package really but a large 302 which motivated millions of cars and trucks back then. The real news came in 1970 with the canted valve huge port high compression 351 4v Cleveland. If someone today wants to go fast on a budget and look vintage, look correct with still plenty of availability of parts that engine can fill the void between small block and big block with total reliability. I know todays awesome Windsor combos could drag along most any car with a vintage Cleveland in it but most want vintage pieces from the era of our cars,if not get a modern Windsor combo and spank most everyone on the track and street. ;) I'm gathering pieces as i write this for a stout 351c 4v engine should make 400hp with out breaking a sweat and still using mostly 45 year old technology.

kjspeed

+1

My 68 splits the difference with a Boss 351 - lighter than a big block, somewhat easier to get to the plugs and 500+HP on tap. The only GT500 I've driven (1969 428CJ) was not all that impressive. I've not driven one, nor have I see one at speed, but the 65 GT350 sounds like it would be right up my alley. All I need is a spare half mil and I could find out for myself  ;D
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

FL SAAC

big block, impressive with the hood up, impressive on acceleration, impressive when you drive it anywhere, impressive when you start it and they hear the rumble, impressive when people see the GT500 designation and 428 emblems, kong has arrived...
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

csxsfm

69 GT350 Vert

Quote from: 2112 on February 27, 2018, 11:34:47 AM
I am surprised nobody (yet) has brought up the '69/'70 351W which in stock form was really kind of a package half way between the 289 and 428.

Of course in recent times, with head development and big inch stroker cranks, the 351W has become, arguably, the most popular Pushrod Ford platform.

I love my 351W that was built last year.  Stock heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, internal upgrades but stock stroke.

Plenty of torque for my convertible. 

https://youtu.be/PAiJ5kXd0w0

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on February 27, 2018, 05:44:43 PM
big block, impressive with the hood up, impressive on acceleration, impressive when you drive it anywhere, impressive when you start it and they hear the rumble, impressive when people see the GT500 designation and 428 emblems, kong has arrived...
Now that's what I'm talking about.  It's impressive for sure (insert "Rock On" emoji).

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

427heaven

The muscle car wars were built on BIGGER IS BETTER theory. Ford -Chevy Mopar and even AMC got in the mix of big powerful engines. When is too much HP too much, why never I guess. All manufacturers had their small blocks and their bully big brothers, we could order 250 hp engines or we could order 450 hp engines I would choose the latter if I was able back in the day. Sixes and small blocks have there place I have owned many and were, and are, a joy to drive.

FL SAAC

There's No Replacement for Cubic Inch Displacement

By Jonathan WC Mills
September 26, 2013

Cars make horsepower in one of two ways: (1) displacement, where huge volumes of air, fuel and fire are consumed to generate ridiculously loud, juvenile horsepower, (2) engine speeds, in which precision engineered sewing machines use maniacally high revolutions to create power.

I will admit to falling squarely in camp number one. I just happen to favor slower engine speeds and gobs of torque over driving something that sounds like an angry beehive.

Most car people find themselves falling into one category, or another—it's inevitable. If you were weaned on the shriek of tiny engines howling toward redline, you might honestly prefer a turbocharged four cylinder over a big honking V8. Maybe a straight-six is the perfect compromise for you.

However, I maintain my love for big engines—the sound of a V8 with free flowing pipes is primal. It's a guttural beat of heavy displacement that reaches into my soul and gives it a hard squeeze of adrenaline. It's the background noise to open roads of America

Perhaps the tinny whine of a four-banger accelerating conjures up the same feelings for enthusiasts who love small engines, rapid urban commutes and expensive gasoline.

Maybe I'm a throwback after all. If so, I'm okay with that. I don't mind being a dinosaur with a large displacement heartbeat

Kong
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Jim Herrud

Quote from: 427heaven on February 27, 2018, 09:58:08 PM
When is too much HP too much, why never I guess.
Don't know if it's true, but I was told that one of Carroll Shelby's quotes was: "There's no such thing as too much horsepower, only too little traction".
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a "Vintage Car" guy. Now I'm just a "Vintage" car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.