News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Sheet metal date codes in relation to vehicle build dates

Started by JCHansen, December 11, 2019, 09:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCHansen

Hello everyone,

Lurking newbie here! I have a question related specifically to sheet metal dates and how they relate to vehicle build dates in NJ. Looked at a '68 GT500 today. Marti says actual build was on 1/17/68. Car delivered to dealer in IL on 2/3. I found late December and a few early January date stampings all over the car. The latest date I could find was 1/3 on the rear passenger side inner fender behind the tower. I also found a 1/2 passenger side rocker. Most dates are from 12/22-12/31, except for a couple of wild cards under the hood, a June and an October, which I think is another problem. Late December all over the trunk area except for an early Jan trunk pan (couldn't clearly read the day, but the month was Jan.). Anyway- what was the strike's impact on parts supply at Metuchen? It is reasonable that sheet metal was being stamped, then shipped from the stamping plants arriving in NJ less than 3 weeks before final assembly two months after the strike ended? By the dates on the car, it was assembled, took a train ride to Ionia, finished up, shipped back out and was sitting in a dealers showroom all within a month. Glass is a bit later than I was expecting too- all December '67 glass except for a January '68 front 1/4 vent window and one November.   

I've looked at a couple other non-Shelby NJ built '68 Mustangs, one built late November with mostly August sheetmetal on the car- naturally, I imagine those parts were sitting around for a while as things were being worked out. Another, an S code fastback was built on March 8th, and had early January to early February sheet metal, and the glass dates were practically the same as the Shelby I looked at today.

Thoughts- thanks in advance! John

Kent

Ok what do you want to know? What you decribe is pretty normal on those car, nobody can tell how full the stock was at NJ or CA with sheetmetal week per week, we discussed it over and over, and you will see a lot of answers about date codes, build dates etc. if you are searching. I think after some time and a good working instinct you will work it out.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Coralsnake

The strike had very little effect on Shelby production. As a matter of fact only a handful (5 or 6) cars were probably built before the strike.

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/Productionchanges

Remarkably, as someone who inspects cars, I very rarely check date codes. History of the car and body integrity should answer most questions. On 1968s, there are several sheet metal changes that can accurately date when the body was constructed.

Having said that it might be helpful to know the consecutive Ford number to try to help more.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

JCHansen

Thank you Coralsnake- I have been through your impressive website many times, and it along with Kolasa's books have made me keenly aware of the production changes.

Car has been restored, and it's a nice car, represented as a real one. In terms of fitting in production changes- the car fits as an "early" car with the proper characteristics that entails- early quarters (passenger side has been reskinned from the beltline down), the interior fits as an early car (padded A's, no knee pad). The engine is not correct, a fall '68 a CJ, with CJ heads. Trans is not original. Rearend is a 7M21 cast with a correct WES-U code tag with a 2nd week January date code on it.

One of the reasons I'm looking at the reasonableness of the dates on the metal is that there is no Ford VIN under the Shelby American tag, that apron has a June date on it and has obviously been changed and the Shelby tag reattached on the new panel. Passenger side front inner has been changed too. Both front fenders have August dates and came from Chicago. Slacking off the passenger fender bolts and hunting for the passenger side partial VIN did not turn up a stamping on that side either, although there is a possibility I just can't see it, I feel like I had a good view of what was under there. It has a dash VIN, and what I believe to be an authentic warranty plate on a door that has had a new partial outer skin. Car shows some evidence underneath of mild previous repairs in the front end. Once rocker is stamped Jan 3rd, as is the dashboard under the radio.

Car is in the registry, but with very limited history. Hence why I spent several hours yesterday scrutinizing the reasonableness of what I can see. Since I'm new to the party here, I'll PM you the Ford number in case public disclosure is considered a faux pas. 

Thank you, Coralsnake

Coralsnake

Yoy may also send pictures of tags. Im pretty good at spotting the reproductions.

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com

Coralsnake

The tags look very good. I will email you more information .